To apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good academic standing and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a freshman but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program
As a study abroad student at UL, you may select from a broad range of business, computer science, education, humanities, and science classes. A multi-disciplinary Irish Studies program is also available. Course (or modules as they are called at UL) information is available at: http://outside.ul.ie/BookofModules/Default.aspx. This is an online list of modules offered at UL. You can search by discipline or semester.
For a quick view of what is on offer, students can view the Module Booklet for the previous semesters.
Fall 2015: Fall 15 Module Booklet
Spring 2016: Spring 16 Module_Booklet
In viewing the information, please note that the first two letters of the module code indicate the subject area to which the module belongs. The FINAL numerical digit of the code corresponds to the semester of study in which the module is normally taken by Irish students i.e. year one modules end in 1 (Fall semester) and 2 (Spring semester) - year two modules end in 3 (Fall semester) and 4 (Spring semester) and so on until year four. These codes should be used as a guide to the level of each course. (There are some exceptions to this rule).
Many courses you can take at University of Limerick have already been evaluated for UW-Eau Claire credit. To find courses that have been evaluated for Limerick, you will go to the Transfer Wizard site here: https://my.uwec.edu/psp/PUBLIC/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/EAU_SS_CUSTOM.EAU_TRNCRDWZ.GBL
Please keep in mind that this is a historical record of past course equivalences. There is no guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future, or that they will be offered during the term in which you are abroad. In order to determine whether the module (course) will be offered in “Autumn” or “Spring,” you will need to check the Module Booklet that is mentioned above.
1. Choose Ireland in from the “Country” pull down menu, then hit “Search”*
2. Select “Univ of Limerick” by clicking the link.
3. There are a few different ways to search for course equivalencies:
- Search the first 300: To see the first 300, simply hit the “Search” button without putting in a subject. The first 300 courses, in alphabetical order by the U of Limerick “School Subject” (e.g. AC for accounting or BY for biology) will appear. However, more than 300 courses have been evaluated for Limerick. As such you cannot see all Limerick courses by searching in this way.
- Search by U of Limerick “School Subject”: For example, if you only want to see courses designated as biology by U of Limerick, input “BY” in the search function, which is the biology subject code at U of Limerick. To find the Limerick subject codes, look at the module booklet.
- Search by course: If you want to see whether a particular U of Limerick course has an established UWEC equivalency, you can enter the U of Limerick subject code and course number (e.g. BY4008) in the “Search”. Some courses may not have an established equivalency. An official equivalency can be established for the course after you are accepted to the program.
This program fulfills the complete Foreign Culture requirement upon successful completion. Please email Degree Review at email@example.com after completion of the program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A. or B.M degree in the College of Arts & Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirement. See the university catalog for details.)
You may study at UL for either semester or the full academic year. Fall semester begins in early September and ends before Christmas. Spring semester starts in late January and ends in late May. During spring semester, there is a one-week break. Exact dates will be available the semester prior to departure.
updated 11/10/15, clw