Skip to Content

city academics

To apply, you must be a currently-enrolled, degree-seeking undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student majoring in Chemistry and/or Material Science.  You need to be in good standing (academic, financial and conduct) and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.  You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a freshman, but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program begins.

Students are required to take 12-18 credits per semester. Most subjects at City University of Hong Kong (CUHK) carry 3 credits each and are taught in English. Students are required to take 9 credits of their courses in the College of Science and Engineering (CSE). The other courses can be taken in other departments as well as language courses. All students must meet the pre-requisites of each course they choose to enroll in. It is highly recommended that students take a beginner level Chinese language course to assist in better communicating in Hong Kong. 

A variety of courses at CUHK have already been evaluated for UW-Eau Claire credit. To find courses that have been evaluated for CUHK, you will go to the Transfer Wizard site here:

  • Country: Hong Kong (leave college/university blank) - Click "Search"
  • Select "City University of Hong Kong"
  • Enter a course you are looking for or select "Search" to see the entire list

*Please keep in mind that since this is new, we do not have all courses evaluated. There is no guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future, or that they will be offered during the term in which you are abroad.

Courses at CUHK
To see which Chemistry courses are available to you, please look here.

To see which Material Science courses are available to you, please look here

For students in catalog years through 2015-2016, this program fulfills the Foreign Culture requirement upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at after completion of the program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A. or B.M degree in the College of Arts & Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirement. See the university catalog for details.)

For students in catalog years 2016 and later, this program can fulfill an integrated learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments.  Email  for details.

The Spring semester runs from January to May. The Fall semester runs from early September to December.

updated 7/12/16/cc

Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.