To apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good academic standing and have a cumulative GPA of 2.8. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a freshman but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program begins.
Course descriptions for Aberdeen can be found at: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/courses/. To understand which courses are offered in the fall and which are offered in the spring, you will need to read Aberdeen Academic Planning Info.doc. You can have access to any courses for which you have the pre-requisites, with the exception of a few restricted areas. You cannot enroll in Clinical Medicine, level 4 English courses, BM 4501 Biomedical Honours Project, and SR 4502 Sports Practicum. The course catalogue for the following academic year is typically published in late summer. For example, the 2014-2015 catalogue/schedule was published in August 2014.
Many courses you can take at University of Aberdeen have already been evaluated for UW-Eau Claire credit. To find courses that have been evaluated for Aberdeen, you will go to the Transfer Wizard site: https://my.uwec.edu/psp/PUBLIC/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/EAU_SS_CUSTOM.EAU_TRNCRDWZ.GBL.
Please keep in mind that this is a historical record of past course equivalences. There is no guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future, or that they will be offered during the term in which you are abroad.
- Choose United Kingdom in from the “Country” pull down menu, then hit “Search”*
- Select “Univ of Aberdeen” by clicking the link.
- There are a few different ways to search for course equivalencies:
- Search the first 300: To see the first 300, simply hit the “Search” button without putting in a subject. The first 300 courses, in alphabetical order by the U of Aberdeen “School Subject” (e.g. AC for accounting or BI for biology) will appear. However, more than 300 courses have been evaluated for Aberdeen. As such you cannot see all Aberdeen courses by searching in this way.
- Search by U of Aberdeen “School Subject”: For example, if you only want to see courses designated as biology by U of Aberdeen, input “BI” in the search function, which is the biology subject code at U of Aberdeen. To find the Aberdeen subject codes, look at the course catalogue.
- Search by course: If you want to see whether a particular U of Aberdeen course has an established UWEC equivalency, you can enter the U of Aberdeen subject code and course number (e.g. BI2505) in the “Search”. Some courses may not have an established equivalency. An official equivalency can be established for the course after you are accepted to the program.
This program fulfills the complete Foreign Culture requirement upon successful completion. Please email Degree Review at firstname.lastname@example.org after completion of the program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A. or B.M degree in the College of Arts & Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirement. See the university catalog for details.)
At Aberdeen, you may study for Semester 1 (13 weeks, September-December), for Semester 2, (19 weeks, late January-June, including a 3 week break) or for the full academic year.
updated 8/25/2014 ccm