Construction of W.R. Davies Student Center began March 7, 2011, and the building opened its doors July 30, 2012. Past, present and future students of UW-Eau Claire are paying for their new student center through segregated fees assessed since 2000. The new student center, like its predecessor, is named in memory of William R. Davies (1893–1959), the university’s second president.
In keeping with UW-Eau Claire’s strategic goals of stewardship and sustainability, the new Davies Center incorporates eco-friendly elements including a green roof and sustainability standards designed to consume 30 percent less energy than current codes require.
The original Davies Center left the campus landscape in August 2012 and the site was redeveloped as green space. The new student center is bordered on the north by the Little Niagara Creek, which has been incorporated into the Central Campus Mall. Immediately south of Davies Center is the 230-acre Putnam Park, acquired by the university in 1957 under the Davies administration. Davies Center occupies a site that was once the historic meeting grounds of the Dakota and Ojibwe people and other Woodland Nations.
This section of the University Centers website incorporates information provided by the following people:
James E. Boulter, Ph.D.
Interim Director, Watershed Institute for Collaborative Environmental Studies
Associate Professor, Chemistry Department, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Student, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Shawn Plum, RA, LEED AD