print header

Davies Center Building Project

The new W. R. Davies Student Center is transforming campus life at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. It replaced the original Davies Center, which opened in 1959.
Like its predecessor, the new student center is named in memory of William R. Davies (1893–1959), the university's second president.

The new Davies Center opened its doors Monday, July 30, 2012 — a soft opening during which services were initially limited and finish work continued throughout the building. Building hours are available online.

The $48.8 million project is funded through segregated fees, which are paid by students.
No tax dollars have been involved in the development, construction or operation of the building.

In keeping with UW-Eau Claire’s strategic goals of stewardship and sustainability,
the new student center incorporates eco-friendly elements including a green roof and sustainability standards designed to consume 30 percent less energy than current codes require.

The original Davies Center left the campus landscape in August 2012 and the site was redeveloped as green space. On the north the new student center is bordered by the Little Niagara Creek, which was incorporated into the landscape of the Central Campus Mall. Immediately south is the 230-acre Putnam Park, acquired by the university in 1957 under the Davies administration. Davies Center occupies a site that was once the historic meeting grounds of the Dakota and Ojibwe people.

The approximately 170,000-square-foot student center is designed by Stantec and the Wisconsin-based firm Bray Architects. The design was inspired by nature surrounding the Eau Claire campus — the Chippewa River, the woods, the stone formations, the Little Niagara Creek.

Construction of the new Davies Center began March 7, 2011, and was completed in 2013. Kraemer Brothers, LLC, of Plain, Wisconsin, was the project's single prime contractor.

CONSTRUCTION TEAM

American Engineering Testing
American Prefabricated Infrastructure
Appleton Lathing Corp.
Architectural Products
ASC Insulation & Fireproofing
Audio Architects
Auld’s Communications
B&B Electric
Baring Industries
Best Built Fence Co.
Braun ThyssenKrup Elevator
Brown Heating & Air Conditioning
Camera Corner Connecting Point
Custom Expressions
DC Coatings
Environmental Management Consulting
Esser Glass
Foundation Service Corp.
General Sprinkler Corp.
Gopher Stage Lighting
Grazzini Brothers & Co.
H.J. Martin and Son
Haas Sons
Haldeman-Homme
Harmon Concrete & Construction
Heebink Architectural Woodwork
JWC Building Specialties
KBK Services
Klatt Equipment
LaForce
McCabe Construction
MEP Associates
Mid-City Steel
Overhead Door Co.
P&P Artec
PHD Roof Doctors
Resch’s Tile
Sadek & Associates
Senn Blacktop
Skid Steer Guy
Statz Painting & Decorating
Storage Concepts
Twin City Acoustics
Valley Builders Hardware
Wells Concrete
Wisconsin Terrazzo & Tile
Wisconsin Window Concepts
Zimmerman Plumbing

DESIGN TEAM

Bray Architects
JDR Engineering
Ken Saiki Design
Native Engineers
Pierce Engineers
Porter Khouw Consulting
Rettler Corp.
Stantec

Davies Center site plan
Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.