Oak, paint and stain
48" diameter × 1.5"
Dr. Kenneth F. Campbell (1925–1994), professor of art and department chair, designed the University Seal for the Golden Jubilee Year of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. He placed the Council Oak tree at its center as a symbol of strength, beauty and knowledge. Campbell also designed the official seal for Eau Claire County. His notable sculptures in the Chippewa Valley include the Old Abe sculpture at Wilson Park, the Hank Aaron Monument in Carson Park, and the bronze portrait plaque of Leonard and Dorellen Haas in the lobby of Haas Fine Arts Center.
Chippewa Valley woodcarver Kevin Midthun was commissioned to create this wall relief for the October 18, 1985, inauguration of Chancellor Larry G. Schnack. Displayed in the original Davies Center, the hand-carved emblem was regularly used at formal ceremonies such as Commencement and special programs including The Forum. The University Seal now hangs in the Council Oak Room, Davies Center 260, beside the windows that frame the Council Oak tree.