Dulany Art Glass
An irreplaceable collection of stained glass and leaded glass is installed in The Dulany Inn, Davies Center 122, and the Heritage Room, located within. The art glass comes from the Dulany mansion, a grand yellow brick home built on the corner of State Street and Garfield Avenue in 1910. Daniel M. Dulany (1852–1925) was a lumber millionaire.
"The house was a beautiful house,” recalled Chancellor Leonard Haas, “with wonderful woodwork and master construction all the way through. Stained glass was used generously in windows and other places …"
The Dulany mansion was purchased by the college in 1946. It was remodeled and named Memorial Hall. First used as a women’s residence hall and student center, Memorial Hall was later used for administration and classroom space.
In 1964 the dining room from Memorial Hall was dismantled and reconstructed in the original Davies Center, and named the Heritage Room. The art glass in the Heritage Room — carefully moved with the African mahogany-paneled dining room to the new Davies Center in 2012 — comprises a grouping of three leaded-glass windows and a set of doors.
Memorial Hall was demolished in 1970. Much of the art glass in the house was lost, but Davies Center has retained 12 pieces. These light screens were first installed in the Alumni Room (1976) and The Dulany Inn (1982) during additions to the original Davies Center, and another small window was framed and hung in the stairwell entrance from Schofield Hall.
When W.R. Davies Student Center was constructed in 2012, all 12 pieces were brought together and built in to the new Dulany Inn. Two arcs of glass were added back to the grouping of three windows that had been in the Alumni Room of the original Davies Center, replicating the original configuration in the Dulany mansion. Four windows were built into the entrance door set. Another window is a sidelight; in the Dulany mansion, it had been paired with an identical panel on the other side of a quarter-sawn oak door inset with a light screen of matching design. Two other windows are built into the walls of the new Dulany Inn and illuminated from behind.
Although these windows have great similarity to light screens that Frank Lloyd Wright designed for private homes (particularly the Darwin D. Martin House) during the same period, the art glass of the Dulany mansion remains to be authenticated.