print header
Centers About Us

Solicitation on University Premises

1.  Permission and Registration of Solicitation

     a.  Solicitation shall be defined as selling, peddling, and /or distribution of material, free
          or otherwise.  The hawking of newspapers or similar printed materials outside
          University buildings is not regulated by this policy.

     b.  Individuals or organizations (student or non-student) may engage in solicitation in
          University structures and on University grounds pursuant to the terms and condition
          established herein, and the University retains the right to accept or reject, with just
          cause, any request for use of its structure and grounds.

     c.  No such use of University structure and grounds will be permitted without registration
          and permission of the appropriate office as listed in sections D, E, F, and G below.

     d.  All requests for such use of University structure and grounds should be directed to
          the Director of University Centers in all cases except on-campus housing.  In the
          case of solicitation within on-campus housing, the Assistant Director of Housing and
          Residence Life should be contacted with such requests.  No solicitation will be
          permitted in living area for non-hall affiliated activities.

     e.  Political campaigning and the distribution of political literature is permitted only in
          designated areas of University residence halls during designated hours, when the
          residence halls are in use and occupied by students during the academic year,
          interim, and summer session.  Such activity may be conducted after registration
          with the appropriate Hall Director, provided such space has not been
          previously reserved.
          >  More information — Political Events 

          In University residence halls, political campaigning is limited to these designated
          areas and times:


Oak Ridge


11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Noon – 7 p.m.
Noon – 7 p.m.
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.


Main Lobby
Main Lobby
Main Lobby
Main Lobby
Main Lobby
Main Lobby
Main Lobby
Main Lobby
Basement Meeting Room
Main Lobby

          Residence Hall Association recommends that all mailbox stuffings be printed on

          recyclable paper. There may be only one mailbox stuffing per room. There may
          be only one mailbox stuffing per organization per month. The only University-
          organized activities that may have literature put in residence hall mailboxes
          without names/room number labels are the following:

          •    Artists Series
          •    Athletics
          •    Blugold Dining
          •    University Centers
          •    Children’s Center
          •    Forensics
          •    The Forum
          •    Health Services
          •    Higherground
          •    International Folk Fair
          •    Legal Services
          •    Music and Theatre Arts                             
          •    NOTA
          •    Recreation and Sport Facilities
          •    The Spectator
          •    Student Radio Initiative
          •    Student Senate (not including campaign and candidate endorsement material)
          •    UAC
          All other campus organizations must request written permission from RHA to
          stuff residence hall mailboxes. If a listed organization wishes to stuff the
          residence hall mailboxes more than once per month, special permission from
          RHA must be requested in writing. All other University recognized clubs must
          have a name and/or room number on any item(s) of information they want
          placed in residence hall mailboxes. Businesses or other off-campus
          organizations must use U.S. Mail unless they have received previous
          permission from RHA.

     f.   Solicitation in non-academic buildings (other than residence halls) requires the
          approval of Event Services.  

     g.  Solicitation in the academic buildings of the University requires approval of
          the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs upon the recommendation of the
          Director of University Centers.

     h.  Solicitation on the University grounds will require approval of the Assistant
          Chancellor for Administrative Services, upon the recommendation of the
          Director of University Centers.

2.  Off Campus Individuals and Organizations

     a.  All non-student individuals and groups whose request to solicit has been approved
          will be charged a fee for use of any University structure and grounds.

     b.  Lists of names, addresses, official University records, or any other information about
          University students will not be made available to non-University individuals or
          organizations without approval of the Chancellor of the University, or her/his
          designated agent.

     c.   Student directory information which is not published in the Student Directory may
          be provided to outside agencies for legitimate educational purposes by the Registrar.
          ‘’Legitimate educational purpose’’ is to be strictly interpreted. An example of
          legitimate educational purpose is announcement of a special course of interest
          to majors in a particular subject offered by another UW-System institution. Such
          information may be provided in the form deemed most appropriate by the Registrar,
          and a processing charge will be made to cover full costs of providing the information.

     d.  The University will not, except as provided in Item C above, provide separate mailing
          lists containing student data to outside parties.