print header

Advising FAQs

1. How do I drop (withdraw from a class)? To top

During the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, you can drop a full-semester class directly through MyBlugold CampS. There will be no record of your enrollment in the class on your transcript.  If the course does not meet the entire semester, check for add/drop restrictions.

Starting the third week of the semester, you must obtain approval signatures on the Change of Registration form to drop classes. You will receive a “W” on your record.

Dates for dropping a class with no record of enrollment and for withdrawing from a class with a “W” are prorated for short courses (those lasting less than 16 weeks) and for courses during summer and winterim. You can check these dates on MyBlugold CampS.

2. How do I decide if it's o.k. to go below full time? To top

Dropping below full time (12 credits for a regular semester) can cause problems in the following areas:

  • Athletic eligibility
  • Health insurance (if the student is covered under his/her parent's health insurance, full time enrollment is often required)
  • Veterans benefits and financial aid
  • Eligibility for the Dean's list
  • Scholarships

Withdrawing from more than one course can affect your academic standing.

You will not be “kicked out” of the residence halls.

3. How do I withdraw from the university (withdraw from all my classes)? To top

To withdraw from the University and all your courses, start in the Dean of Students Office (Shofield Hall, 240, #715-836-5626).

Academic Consequences of withdrawing from the university:

  • Withdrawing from the university during the first two weeks of classes (the official period for adding or dropping classes) results in no academic penalty. A student receives either a full or partial refund of fees. A statement on the transcript indicates that the student withdrew from the University.
  • Withdrawing from the University after the second week of classes and before the tenth week of classes results in "W's" on your record indicating a withdrawal.
  • Withdrawing from the University after the tenth week of classes will normally result in grades of "F's" for all unfinished classes. Exceptions to this policy, generally given for extenuating circumstances, may be obtained from the Dean of the College in which the student is enrolled, usually upon the recommendation of the Associate Dean of Students.

4. How do I find out who my adviser is? To top

Your adviser is listed on your degree audit and on MyBlugold.  Access MyBlugold, go to "My Info" and click on entrance Profile.

5. How do I change my adviser? To top

You can always request a new adviser.  Go to the department associate in the office of your major.

6. How do I change my major or minor? To top

Each major and minor has it's own procedures to follow.  Please refer to the instructions found on the Registrar's web site.

7. How do I find on-line courses? To top

A special web-page lists on-line courses.

8. How do I determine if a course taken at another school will transfer to UWEC? To top

Equivalencies for all UW System schools and Wisconsin Technical Colleges can be found on Transfer Information System (TIS).

Course equivalencies for private schools in Wisconsin and for Minnesota Schools are available on the UW-Eau Claire Registrar’s web page.

Prior approval forms: It is wise to do paperwork before you take the course. If they are going to Wisconsin or Minnesota school you should print out the equivalency currently on the web (see above), sign and date it, and turn it in to the Registration Office, Schofield 128.

Students attending a school not listed on either of the above web sites may file a Prior Approval Form.

9. How do I obtain a what-if degree audit? To top

What-if degree audits are requested on-line and delivered to your email account.

  • From our home page Select “Current Students”
  • Select “MyBlugold” from the left-hand column
  • Sign on using your normal computer username and password
  • Select “My Info”
  • Select “Request for Degree Audits, Transcripts, etc. ”
  • Sign on again using your normal computer username and password
  • Select your desired major/degree
  • Choose catalogue year
  • Choose type of degree and school/college (if needed)
  • Choose a second program if you have a minor or another major
  • Choose a third program if needed
  • Select submit

10. How do I get a transcript? To top

Official - Transcripts are requested in the Office of Registration. Complete information and a downloadable form is found at the Registrar’s site.

Unofficial transcripts can be obtained through MyBlugold CampS.

11. How do I find out when my finals are? To top

The preliminary finals schedule is available on the Registrar's web site.

Common exam times will be determined during the first month of the semester. Once they are determined, your exact exam schedule will be found on MyBlugold CampS under "My Info."

12. How do I get help if I'm struggling in a class or not doing well? To top

The first rule is always to talk with the instructor. She or he can often offer guidance, study tips, or help you with specific problems. Also refer to the guide to tutoring.

13. How do I calculate my GPA? To top

There is an on-line GPA calculator that calculates your semester GPA and can help you figure out what grades you have to get to raise your GPA.

14. How do I decide if I should take a course S/U? To top

That is a complicated question. It is best to talk to your adviser before taking a course S/U since some majors have restrictions.

15. How do I obtain verification of my enrollment? To top

You can request enrollment verification through the Registrar's site.

16. How do I earn retroactive credits for a foreign language? To top

Retro credits are not put on your transcript immediately, but if they do not appear within a few weeks of the end of the semester, you should contact your instructor. There is a form that you needed to fill out to get the credits and sometimes a student doesn’t fill it out or it doesn’t get to the Registrar’s office.

17. How do I take the Math, English, or Foreign Language placement test? To top

If you are a current student, call 715-836-5522 or stop by Schofield 226 to inquire when the placement tests are being offered.

New freshmen will take the tests during Regional Placement testing; you will receive information about that in February.

Transfer students will have an opportunity to take the placement test during Transfer Orientation.

Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.