Pre-professional programs help students prepare for entrance into professional degree programs. Many professional degree programs are offered only at the post-baccalaureate level, so an undergraduate degree is needed in order to enroll in them.
Pre-professional programs are not academic majors or minors, rather, these programs provide an organized approach to academic advising for students intending to apply to a professional degree program. To enhance academic planning and preparation, a student interested in obtaining a professional degree should work with a pre-professional adviser.
Pre-professional programs offered at UW-Eau Claire include:
• Pre-occupational therapy
• Pre-physical therapy
• Pre-physician’s assistant
• Pre-veterinary medicine
Did you know
We have a pre-professional health club which serves all of our pre-professional health science students (pre-dentistry, pre-vet, pre-med, pre-optometry, pre-physician's assistant).
Students in pre-professional programs are assigned well-informed, pre-professional advisers who are faculty members of various departments on campus. These faculty members help students explore careers in your professional field, plan appropriate curriculum for your field of interest, obtain professional academic requirements from other colleges/universities and recommend a major that is logically connected to your professional field.
More advising information
Choosing a major
UW-Eau Claire offers a variety of academic majors that provide excellent preparation for applying to professional programs. Students should select an academic major that will prepare them to compete for such professional programs as well as provide career alternatives. Some students elect to transfer to another higher education institution to complete the appropriate professional degree and/or preparation.
The university’s success rate at preparing students who gain admission to professional schools is outstanding. Below are just a few examples:
• UW-Eau Claire is one of the top universities in the state for the number of students accepted into medical school. Pre-medicine graduates have been accepted into the University of Wisconsin Medical School in Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, University of Minnesota Medical School in the Twin Cities or Duluth, Northwestern University and Washington University.
• UW-Eau Claire also places high in the state for admissions into the UW-Madison Law School. In addition, graduates regularly attend law school at the University of Minnesota, Hamline University, William Mitchell and Marquette University.
• Pre-dentistry students have been accepted at the University of Minnesota, Marquette University, University of Iowa and Northwestern University.
• Pre-chiropractic students have gone on to Northwestern College of Chiropractic, and pre-optometry students have attended Illinois College of Optometry, among others.
• On average, students who have gone through the pre-engineering program at UW-Eau Claire perform better academically at UW-Madison than those students from other pre-engineering programs in the state.
More career information
Program contact information
College of Arts and Sciences