- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
- Latin American Studies
- Academic Offerings
- Explore Opportunities
- Careers + Alumni
- News + Events
- Contact Us
The project is expected to be completed in fall 2018, and the footbridge will be closed from late May to late August in both 2017 and 2018.More information
Ready to try your hand at the careers you’ve heard about in class? An internship is a great way to find the field for you and make connections that can land you a job before you graduate. You will gain relevant experience working directly in Latin American countries or domestically with Latino/Hispanic communities in the United States.
For more information on available international internships, visit Career Services or talk with LAS faculty. Once you’ve found the internship perfect for you, fill out this application form to get the ball rolling. Before you know it, you will be in Latin America doing important work that future employers will be looking for.
Morgan Gerke, '15 LAS graduateWithout a doubt, my internship and cultural immersion experience was the most powerful component of my college career.
Planning to enroll in LAS 488/688, Internship, or LAS 498/698, Internship with Language Immersion?
Keep in mind the following deadlines:
If you wish to do an internship (for either LAS 488/688, Internship, or LAS 498/698, Internship with Language Immersion), the LAS Steering Committee or a sub-committee thereof determines your eligibility for internships on the basis of the following criteria.
1. Obtain the consent of a UW-Eau Claire instructor to serve as supervising instructor.
2. Sign a UW System Liability Waiver Form (included in the internship application).
3. Submit LAS internship application including:
a. Title of internship proposal.
b. Description of the agency/organization in which your internship is to take place.
c. Description of the intent of the internship.
d. Broad outline of the activities in which you will be engaged.
e. The basis on which your grade will be determined. This includes a personal log of experiences and an exit paper (both in target language for LAS 498/698), internship/credit hours, and evaluations by the on-site supervisor and supervising instructor).
f. Name of your on-site supervisor and expression of support by on-site supervisor/supervising organization.
g. The number of hours per week and number of weeks and credits for the internship (the minimum requirements include 135 hours/3 credits, 90 hours/2 credits, and 45 hours/1 credit in the setting).
h. For LAS 498/698, a description of how the internship will fulfill your language immersion requirement.
i. Plans for housing and transportation.
After your internship has been approved by the LAS Steering Committee or a sub-committee thereof, you will need to
4. Apply for passport and/or visa, if your internship is outside of the U.S.
5. Go to the Center for International Education to purchase international health insurance required by the UW System, if your internship is outside of the U.S.
6. Meet with supervising instructor and LAS Director to discuss internship and expectations.
7. Enroll in the appropriate and approved internship course.
Once you return to campus, you will need to
8. Send your on-site supervisor the student performance evaluation form and request that he/she email the form as an attachment to your supervising instructor and the LAS Director.
9. Within a month of return, you will need to submit all papers or projects for grades to the UW-Eau Claire LAS internship supervisor.
Now working through AmeriCorps VISTA with Adelante Hispanic Achievers in Louisville, Ky., Morgan Gerke credits her minor in Latin American studies as being crucial to starting her on the path to her career. She speaks of the importance of the program, her career and the struggles her students face, and the significance of an internship in Peru.From internship to career
Thanks for your interest in UW-Eau Claire. Let's get started!
Select a student category below for admission guidelines, important deadlines and instructions.
NOTE: To complete your application to UW-Eau Claire you will be taken off of this website to access the UW System online admission application.
If you want to apply for employment, please click here.