Center for Writing Excellence Writing Contest
Submissions for the Spring 2017 Writing Contest closed on February 17th. Winners will be notified by March 10th, 2017. Thanks for your submissions!
The Spring 2017 Writing Contest theme was
Centennial or 100
Winners will be selected by a panel of faculty judges.
Prizes are provided by the campus bookstore. The Grand prize includes publication in the Spring 2017 edition of NOTA, the UWEC student literary magazine. In addition to a grand prize, second place, and third place winner, randomly selected entrants will receive a participation prize.
- The contest is open to all UWEC students, faculty, and staff.
- We accept prose, both fiction pieces and non-fiction essays, and poetry.
- DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ANYWHERE ON YOUR SUBMISSION, including in the file name. We will get your name from the submission survey.
- Submissions must have a title, be saved as a PDF, and uploaded through our Qualtrics survey.
- Submissions must not exceed 1,500 words.
- All prose submissions must be double spaced, in Times New Roman, and in 12 point font.
- Poetry can be single spaced.
The winners for the 2016 contest were:
- 1st place/Grand Prize winner: "My Name" by Yia Lor
- 2nd place: "Speaking to Garcia Lorca" by Yvette Viets Flaten
- 3rd place: "Who Was Gordy?" by Joe Morin