What is the National Day on Writing?
Writing is a daily practice for millions of Americans, but few notice how integral writing has become to daily life in the 21st century. To draw attention to the remarkable variety of writing we engage in and help make writers from all walks of life aware of their craft, the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) established October 20, 2009 (and every year after) as the National Day on Writing.
Wednesday October 17th through Monday October 22nd, Facebook and Twitter
Challenge yourself! Write a story in 140 characters or less. Three stories will be randomly selected to get a prize from the University Book Store.
Monday, October 22nd
11-2pm Haiku for cookies
Davies Center and Hibbard Hall
- Look for us in the Davies lobby and the first floor of Hibbard Hall – the Center for Writing Excellence is hosting a bake sale. All baked goods will be sold at the low price of one Haiku!
11-2pm Word game table and flash fiction contest
- Take a break and play your favorite word game with a friend or a stranger.
- 10-minute flash fiction contest every hour and half hour in the 1st floor reference area in McIntyre. Take 10 minutes of your afternoon or morning to come up with the most exciting, interesting and fantastic story, poem or memoir you can! All the entities will be judged and the best piece will win any Moleskin notebook of your choice.
11-5pm Collaborative story-writing
Center for Writing Excellence, 2nd floor, McIntyre Library
- Help write a story on the walls of the Center for Writing Excellence, one sentence at a time.
4-6p Writing Workshop
Kate Gill Library on 4th floor Hibbard
- Sponsored by NOTA, this is an open workshop to all writers who want to work on their writing before the next NOTA submissions are due (for the spring issue), or just some feedback on what they're working on outside of class.
7-9pm Open Reading
The Cabin, Davies Center
- Come share your favorite short piece of writing- your favorite poem, short excerpt, or original work. The first five readers get a gift certificate to Milwaukee Burger!
How can I contribute?
- Submit your work to the CWE's Gallery of Student Writing: email@example.com
- Enter the writing contest: https://uweauclaire.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7VUxZRj4qxFkKoc
- Become a fan of the CWE on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!