This program is made possible by a Blugold Commitment Grant funded for 2013-2016. The goal of the program is to encourage and support faculty-led international immersion experiences for undergraduate UW-Eau Claire students by providing funds to defray student costs and, thus, increase possibilities and opportunities for participation. Projects may focus on issues, themes or locations with geographical, cultural or historical significance, current events or issues of importance to the people of the places traveled.
The FLIIE program is open to current UW-Eau Claire faculty and academic staff with 0.50 FTE or greater appointments. Interested faculty and academic staff are encouraged to apply for other Blugold Commitment-funded immersion programs; however, each program proposal should be unique and date and time conflicts across the programs must be avoided.
Eligibility Requirements and Priorities
To receive FLIIE funding, projects must meet the following requirements. Immersion experiences will…
- Serve UW-Eau Claire undergraduate students
- Occur outside the continental US and require a passport to get there
- Be at least 2 weeks in duration (including travel)
- Tie directly to UW-Eau Claire Global Learning Outcomes
- Include pre-experience preparation, post-experience guidance, and opportunities for student growth
- Address growth in student participation if the international experience is to be offered more than once
- Assess student learning on the project objectives and submit a final project report and assessment
- Begin after July 1 in the fiscal year approved for funding and occur during the fiscal year that ends June 30
While immersion experiences are expected to build cultural competence and develop cognitive growth, they are also encouraged to…
- Be interdisciplinary and collaborative
- Have a meaningful impact on the people and places of the host community
- Contribute to meaningful and beneficial relationships with the host community and country
- Be financially and administratively sustainable
FLIIE is not currently accepting applications for funding. However, please refer to the links below for program guidelines and requirements. Proposals for the FY 2015-2016 will be due in late Fall 2014.
- FLIIE Request for Proposals for FY 2014-2015
- FLIIE Application Form for FY 2014-2015
- FLIIE Budget Sheet for FY 2014-2015
- FLIIE Requirements for FY 2014-2015
For additional information or questions:
Shanti Freitas, Intercultural Immersion Coordinator