Liberal Education Core Purpose Statement
The Liberal Education Core is designed to develop in students the skills, knowledge and values they will need to engage with and navigate in highly diverse communities and in a global society. Through the liberal education core, UWEC hopes to foster in every student the ability to think with intellectual rigor, creativity, and independence, to integrate and apply their knowledge, and to act as humane, thoughtful leaders in the community, the workplace, and the world of ideas.
Guidelines for Inclusion in the Liberal Education Core
Consistent with this purpose statement the University Liberal Education Committee (ULEC) invites applications for learning experiences that:
- Identify with one or more Liberal Education Learning Core Outcomes. It is anticipated that a single experience will identify with one or two outcomes, although the University Liberal Education Committee (ULEC) will consider proposals on their merits that seek to identify with more than two outcomes.
- Are broadly accessible to students from all programs of study at the university. As such, it is expected that prerequisites will be minimal. That said, ULEC realizes that in some cases prerequisite skills such as mathematics, writing, and foreign language competencies are critical for success. The need for the presence of any prerequisites must be articulated in the application.
In ULEC's efforts to assess the effectiveness of the Liberal Education Core, all learning experiences included in the core will be required to identify an example of student work from the experience that relates to an identified outcome. The student work will be collected, assessed, and results submitted to the University Assessment Committee to assist the University Liberal Education Committee in evaluating the effectiveness of our Liberal Education Core. All learning experiences will be assessed at least once during a 5-year cycle.
Application for Inclusion in the Liberal Education Core
Existing general education courses applying for the liberal education core should follow the directions below:
- College of Arts and Sciences' Programs and Departments
- In the address bar of any Internet browser, type eform1.uwec.edu
- Enter the User ID and Password using the departmental login
- Press [Enter] or click Login
- The BP Logix screen will appear
- Click on the Start New Form tab
- Choose CAS GE to LE Core Application
- Other Colleges
Sample Applications Received by ULEC
- WRIT 116 - Blugold Seminar in Critical Reading and Writing (LE Core Learning Outcome Designation - S1)
- PSYC 100 - Introduction to Psychology (LE Core Learning Outcome Designation - K2)
- Supporting documentation provided: PSYC 100 Syllabus