print header

Career Information

Job Search 101


When searching for a job, you will want to be sure to look into both the published and hidden job market. The published job market, which is comprised of jobs that are advertised either online or in print format, equates to only 20% of the jobs currently available in the marketplace. The other 80% of job openings are unpublished and are filled through networking or word of mouth.

Most employers advertise job openings as a last resort, only after their efforts to find qualified candidates through word of mouth or employee referral has failed. So, while it is a good idea to keep your eye on written publications and internet job search sites, the percentages are in your favor if you investigate the hidden job market.

The Hidden Job Market - Networking


The best way to tap into the hidden job market is through networking. Connect with UW-Eau Claire Career Services for information on networking. This site explains how to network for a job, including how to identify your network and how to expand your network.

Try reaching out to other UW-Eau Claire alumni by using the Blugold Career Network through the UW-Eau Claire Career Services office.

Online Job Postings


The UW-Eau Claire Career Services job search website offers a comprehensive list of employment opportunities, including links to Chippewa Valley websites, general websites, specific career-field websites, government websites, and more.

Resume and Cover Letter

Your resume and cover letter make your impression on a potential employer, and ultimately determine whether or not you will be invited to interview. Professional resume writing assistance is recommended, as it is extremely difficult to write about your own personal strengths, accomplishments, and experiences in a compelling way.

As an SSS alumni, you may contact Career Coordinator Laura Rubenzer for insights and assistance with your resume and cover letters. Send Laura an email to schedule an hour-long appointment with her where she may review and edit your resume and cover letter.

Prior toseeking assistance, you should develop a solid first draft of both your resume and cover letter. See the UW-Eau Claire Career Services website to gain information on how to write a professional resume. Note that it is important to have a resume formatted for online use. That holds for your professional cover letter as well.

Interviewing

Interviewing is a critical component of the job search process. It is where employers get to know you and decide whether or not you are a good fit for the position and the company overall. Just like anything else, performing well in an interview requires preparation and practice.

Preparation and Employer Research

There are many things you need to know about interviewing, including specific steps before, during, and after the interview. For example, one critical first step is to conduct employer research to learn about the organization's mission, vision, values, and history.

Standard Interview Questions

Proper preparation requires that you know the types of questions employers ask during interviews, so that you can prepare positive and articulate answers. In addition to standard questions, there is a growing trend for employers to use behavioral based interview questions. Ideally, you will learn how to identify behavioral based questions, prepare for them, and answer them in an effective way.

Interview Follow-up

After the interview, it is critical that you send a thank-you letter to the interviewer(s) and Human Resources contact person to thank them for the opportunity to meet with them. That follow-up effort can make a big difference for you.

Evaluating Job Offers

You'll want to be sure that you take time to evaluate a job offer to ensure that it is the right fit for you. The highest starting salary isn't always the best deal for you. Location or cost-of-living, benefits, and promotion opportunities can all weigh heavily when selecting an offer.

Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.