SSS generally recruits students to become program participants during the summer prior to their first year at the university. However, if you are working with a student who you feel would benefit from participating in the SSS program, you may refer them to our office to complete the application procedure.
It may assist you in pre-screening students to be aware of the federal eligibility requirements:
Participants in SSS must:
- Demonstrate a need for academic assistance (based on ACT scores, high school rank, college GPA, or other indicator)
- Meet one of the following conditions:
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year degree)
- Be from a low-income household (based on federal TRIO guidelines)
- Have a documented disability
In addition, participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are enrolled at UW-Eau Claire with the intention of completing a baccalaureate degree.