print header

Grievance Policy

It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire to provide reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities pursuant to state and federal law. If a student with a disability wishes to make an accommodation request, he or she should consult the Services for Students with Disabilities office, which is responsible for assisting with appropriate accommodations. Students may also discuss accommodation issues with individual instructors or administrators.

The procedures that follow are intended to resolve student complaints about accommodations. Whenever possible, issues should be settled through informal discussions among the parties involved. If an issue cannot be resolved through informal means, students may use the following procedures:

1. The student should meet with the director of the Services for Students with Disabilities office to discuss specific concerns.

2. If the director is unable to resolve the matter or if the student is not satisfied with the resolution, the student may file a complaint with the Affirmative Action Office following the guidelines outlined under “Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Complaint Procedures.”  Pursuant to these procedures, a complaint must be filed within 300 calendar days of the act out of which the complaint has arisen.

3. The student may also at any time contact the Office of Civil Rights for information or assistance:

U.S. Department of Education
Office of Civil Rights
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-1100
Telephone: 1-800-245-6800
FAX: 202-245-6840; TDD: 877-521-2172