print header


As students with unique academic needs, it is important that students with disabilities review accessibility and resource information from each post-secondary institution s/he is considering.

Individuals with disabilities wishing to apply to UW-Eau Claire must complete the standard UW System Admission Form and meet the published UW-Eau Claire admission requirements. Applicants should carefully review the University's published admission criteria, including math and foreign language requirements.

If an applicant with a disability wishes to request an exception to any admission requirements, s/he must:

  1. Include with the application a letter requesting the exception and explaining the rationale for the request, and
  2. submit to the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office appropriate documentation establishing both the existence of a disability and a resulting need for the exception being requested.

Any information regarding a disability is treated as confidential information as defined by the Family and Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) at: 

Questions regarding the appropriateness of a request for an exception and/or of the documentation required should be directed to the SSD office at (715) 836-5800.

After the applicant is admitted, a copy of the diagnosis and disability assessment, including educational recommendations regarding necessary accommodations, should be sent to the SSD office if this has not been done previously. The SSD office does not have the professional staff or resources to provide this documentation for students. The documentation, however, is essential in determining what services and accommodations are appropriate for the student.

UW-Eau Claire also requires that each applicant submit ACT scores (except students 22 years of age or older and transfer students) and, following admission, take placement tests in English, math and other areas that may be appropriate. The Admissions Office will inform you which placement tests are needed as well as when and where these tests can be taken. If the student whishes to request test accommodations for these tests, s/he should make arrangements directly with the ACT testing service and directly with the testing site selected for taking the required placement tests. Placement tests are used to determine appropriate math and composition course enrollment.

Accommodations Needed for Regional Placement Exams

If you request to take the UW required placement tests under non-standard conditions due to a disability, please follow the instructions provided in your Freshman Orientation packet. If you are unsure of what to do, or have misplaced those instructions, please follow the procedure below:

Obtain a letter on your high school letterhead from a teacher, counselor or principal who will describe what accommodations are appropriate for you. Please also include your address and telephone number, which site you wish to test at, as well as what campus you plan to attend in the fall (i.e. University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.)

Send this information to:

Tim O'Connor
Center for Placement Testing
1025 West Johnson Street
Madison, WI 53706

Do not register online for your placement exams if you are requesting a non-standard accommodation due to a disability.

Students should be aware that acceptance to UW-Eau Claire does not guarantee acceptance into the program of choice. This is true of most colleges and universities. In selecting a university the student should give careful consideration to the requirements stated in the current catalog for the program of study s/he wishes to pursue. For example, at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire there are specific requirements for admission into programs including business, nursing, education and social work. In addition, since many programs admit a limited number of students, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee that a student will be admitted to the program.

Please click Services for Students with Disabilities to send an email to answer any specific questions you may have or to request additional information.