Course Materials in Alternative Formats
Students may request that print materials be provided in an alternative format for a variety of reasons. For example, a student with a visual impairment, a learning disability, or an attention deficit disorder may request that print materials be made available in an audio format. This might include textbooks, course related handouts, and/or other required readings. The Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) Office will coordinate the provision of materials requested in an alternative format.
It is vital that students notify the SSD Office of this need and make requests for specific materials in a timely manner. Adequate time is needed to locate and secure or to produce the materials in the format requested.
Procedures for Obtaining Course Materials in an Alternative Format
To receive course related materials in an alternative format the student must first:
- Provide the Services for Students with Disabilities Office with documentation that supports the request.
- Meet with either the SSD Director or Academic Coordinator to discuss all procedures and responsibilities.
For textbooks the student must:
- Obtain a "Request for Textbooks" form from the SSD Office.
- Contact course instructors or the Instructional Resource Rental Department in the Campus Bookstore to obtain the title, author and edition number and/or copyright date for each textbook needed.
- Complete the request form in its entirety including all necessary information.
- Return the "Request for Taped Textbooks" form to the SSD Office.
- The student will be notified via email when the textbook(s) are available in the alternative format requested.
For handouts and other required reading materials the student must:
- Contact course instructors to obtain copies of the course syllabi and copies of the required reading materials needed.
- Schedule an appointment with the SSD Director or Academic Coordinator to discuss your specific needs.
- Provide a copy of the print materials that must be converted.
- The student will be notified when the materials are available in the format requested.