Wisconsin women seeking contraception are now able to get confidential family planning health care services and supplies through the Family Planning Waiver Program (FPWP). The goal of the FPWP is to help women reduce unintended pregnancy and obtain family planning health care services. Thanks to the Wisconsin Medicaid Family Planning Waiver Program, you might qualify to receive these services at no cost to you.
Frequently Asked Questions about the FPWP
Use the checklist below to see if you might qualify.
- I am a woman 15-44 years old.
- I am a U.S. citizen living in Wisconsin.
- I do not receive Wisconsin Medicaid, BadgerCare, or Healthy Start.
- I meet the income requirements.*
*Monthly Income Limits: (updated Spring, 2012)
One-person household $2,722.50
Two-person household $3,677.50
Three-person household $4,632.50
(Click here to open a printable copy of the following instructions - updated 8/2012)
Wisconsin BadgerCare Family Planning Only Services
(Previously called the Family Planning Waiver Program)
To apply you will need:
- Computer with internet access and a printer
- Copy of your picture ID (Driver's License or Blugold)
- Copy of your birth certificate or passport (only if you were NOT born in the state of Wisconsin)
- Copies of your paystubs for the 30 days prior to application OR a statement signed by your supervisor/manager indicating the date your employment began, the average number of hours you work per week, and your rate of pay/salary
Apply online at www.access.wisconsin.gov.If you have questions during the application process call Member Services at (800) 362-3002. Or Student Health Service staff members are available to assist you in the application process Monday through Friday 8:00am - 11:00am or 1:00pm - 4:00pm. Please bring the necessary supporting documentation to the clinic.
If you haven't applied online before or if you don't remember your account username and password click on "Apply for Benefits". You will be required to create a username and password. Be sure to save your username and password for future use. If you have a username and password click on "Login to Account".
Provide the necessary information as required by the application.Please use your local address. Please note that when you are asked how many people are in your household count only yourself and a spouse and childrenif you have them. Don't count parents, siblings, or roommates.
If you have a job but your pay is not taxed (cash), you can say you are NOT employed.
When asked if you have health insurance, you only need to answer yes if you get insurance through your work or you have purchased an insurance package. If you are covered under your parents' policy you can answer no.
Upon submission of your application you are able to print it. In order to receive services covered under program at Student Health Service you must print and turn in a copy of the first page of your application (states your name, date of application, and tracking number) to our office. Also print the document tracking sheet to include as a cover sheet with your supporting documentation.
Save all your paperwork until you receive notice that your application has been accepted.
- Immediately mail or fax supporting documentation (copy of a picture ID, copy of your birth certificate/passport, and paystubs with your name and tracking number written on top of each) to:
Central Document Processing Unit
P.O. Box 7190
Madison, WI 53707-7190
Phone: (888) 283-0012
Fax: (888) 409-1979
- When you receive a booklet of information regarding the program that does not mean that your application has been processed and/or approved. Once your application has been processed, you will receive a letter stating your application was approved and the date for which you became eligible for benefits.
- When you receive your approval letter please bring a copy to Student Health Service so we have proper record of your enrollment in Family Planning Only Services.
- You should also receive a white card that says Forward Health on it and lists your name and member ID number. You will need this card if you ever need to receive services/supplies at another clinic or pharmacy. A new card is not issued with re-applications.
- Please be aware if for ANY reason your application for Family Planning Only Services is denied you will be financially responsible for services and/or supplies rendered during your family planning visits.