Student Health Service started as a nurse’s first aid station in the basement of Schofield Hall in 1938. It was staffed with one nurse, Alice Lefvarder Matz. She saw students in her office and even made house calls to dorms and off campus locations. In 1952 Student Health Service was moved to the arena. Another nurse was added to give evening coverage in 1966 and this continued until 1980. In 1968 Dr. R.A. Buckley was appointed as the first full-time campus medical director. 1976 brought in-house medical lab testing therefore adding a lab technician to the staff. The same year family planning services were initiated with the addition of a nurse practitioner.
Student Health Service was moved to its current location in the Crest Wellness Center in 1983. The current staff totals 30 which range from office staff, medical assistants, lab technicians, student nursing assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants and doctors.
Student Health Services is also teamed up with Health Promotion (includes SWAT and CASE) on lower campus in Schofield Rm 26. Their team consists of two Health Educators and ten Peer Educators.