print header

Change of Major/Minor Procedures

How to add or change a Major or Minor in the Department of Sociology:

1.  Please come to the department office, Hibbard Hall 629. An appointment will be arranged for you to meet with the department chair.

Please note:  It may not be possible to have an appointment time the same day you come in – it is essential that you PLAN AHEAD.

2.  Bring the following to your meeting with the department chair:

  • A “What-If” Degree Audit for the new program in Sociology
  • Any questions you might have about the new program

3.  Advising documents are available in the department office.  You will be provided with this material when you make your appointment.

4. Once you have met with the chair, and have decided that Sociology is the field you wish to pursue, you will need to return to the Sociology Academic Department Associate with the COMPLETED and SIGNED Change of Major/Minor form.  Your major or minor will then be changed online.

How to Declare a Minor in the Department of Sociology:

1. Come to the Sociology Department Office, Hibbard Hall 629. The Academic Department Associate will alert you to information concerning the minors in Sociology and Family Studies and enter your new minor on line.

2. If you have questions about either of the minors or your particular course plan, it is suggested that you make an appointment with either Dr. Pamela Forman, Chair of Sociology, HHH 619 (for a Sociology Minor); or Dr. Kathleen Nybroten, Coordinator of Family Studies, HHH 625 (for a Family Studies Minor).