print header

Change of Major/Minor Procedures

How to declare a major or minor in the Department of History:

1. There are four majors within the Department of History:

  • History – Liberal Arts
  • History - Liberal Arts, Public History Emphasis
  • History – Teaching
  • Broadfield Social Studies – History Concentration
  • Broadfield Social Studies - Dual Concentration

The Liberal Arts and the Teaching majors have almost identical requirements.  The public history emphasis within the Liberal Arts major has specific requirements.  There are also two minors, Liberal Arts and Teaching, which have differing requirements.

2. If you are contemplating a change to one of these majors or minors you should first speak with the department chair or another member of the faculty. The most convenient way to arrange such a meeting is to email the interim chair, Dr. Geoffrey Peterson ( He will arrange a time to meet with you or will ask another faculty member to do so. It will be helpful if you bring a "What-If" Degree Audit to this meeting.

3. If, after meeting with Dr. Peterson or another professor, you decide that you do indeed wish to change to a major in the department, the department program assistant, Ms. Glenna, will change your major and assign you an adviser.

Linda Glenna, Program Assistant
Hibbard Hall 701