print header

Change of Major/Minor Procedures

How to Change a Major/Minor in the English Department:

Note: This also applies to English majors seeking to change their English degree program/emphasis.

1. Obtain a "What-If" Degree Audit.

2. Obtain the English department advising guidelines. These guidelines detail the course and English department portfolio requirements for the following major and minor emphases:

  • Creative Writing (major and minor)
  • Linguistics
  • Literature (major and minor)
  • Science and Technical Writing (major and minor)
  • Teaching (minor)
  • Teaching/English Education (major)
  • Environment, Society, and Culture minor (see * note below)
  • Language Studies minor (see * note below)

Guidelines are also available outside the English Department’s office door (Centenial Hall 4102).

3. Make an appointment to see Dr. Erica Benson: or 836-2431.
Her office is in Centenial Hall 4111. Plan ahead! “Drop-ins” will not be accepted.

4. Prepare for your appointment by reviewing and bringing your “What-If” degree audit, your catalogue, and the advising guideline for the program in which you are interested.

5. Dr. Benson will discuss your new major or minor with you and assign you an advisor in English.

6. After you meet with Dr. Benson; the program assistant in the English Department (Centenial Hall 4102) will enter your new information online (new major or minor, and new advisor).

*To add an Environment, Society, and Culture minor, student must meet with Dr. Jim Phillips in P451 or Crispin Pierce in HSS 213 / NURS 247.

**To add a Language Studies minor, students must meet with Dr. Erica Benson in Centenial Hall 4111.

Excellence. Our Measure. Our Motto. Our Goal.