Degree: Ph.D. Northern Illinois University
Area: Clinical Psychology
Position: Associate Professor
Office: HHH 271
Phone: (715) 836-4642
- Psyc 100 Introduction to Psychology
- Honors Psyc 100 Introduction to Psychology
- Psyc 251 Abnormal Psychology
- Psyc 354 Clinical Psychology
- Psyc 725 Counseling I
- Non-suicidal self-injury in youth and young adults
- Risk, protection from, and prevention of suicide
- Eating disorders, body image, and depression
- Recipient of the American Association of Suicidology (AAS) Shneidman Early Career Achievement Award for work on suicide/self-injury
- Faculty advisor, Psychology Club
- International Society for the Study of Self-Injury (ISSS)
- American Association of Suicidology (AAS)
- Behavioral Emergencies Section (VII) of Division 12, American Psychological Association (APA)
- Consultation for treating nonsuicidal self-injury
Recent Publications (*student co-author)
Muehlenkamp, J. J., & Brausch, A. M. (in press). Body regard and non-suicidal self-injury in adolescents. Journal of Adolescence.
*Nelson, A., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (in press due 2/2012). Body objectification and attitudes in non-suicidal self-injury among male and female undergraduates. Archives of Suicide Research.
Muehlenkamp, J. J. (in press). Differentiating Non-Suicidal Self-Injury and Suicidal Behaviors. Chapter for the Oxford Handbook on Suicide, M.K. Nock (Ed).
Klonsky, E. D., Muehlenkamp, J. J., Lewis, S., & Walsh, B. W. (2011). Advances in Psychotherapy: Nonsuicidal Self-Injury. Hogrefe Press.
*Peat, C. M., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (2011). Self-objectification, disordered eating, and depression: A test of meditational pathways. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 35(3), 441-450.
Whitlock, J., Muehlenkamp, J., Purington, A., Eckenrode, J., Barreira, J., Abrams, G. B., Marchell, T., Kress, K., Girard, K., Chin, C., & Knox, K. (2011). Non-suicidal self-Injury in a college population: General trends and sex differences. Journal of American College Health, 59(8), 691-698.
Muehlenkamp, J. J., Claes, L., Smits, D., *Peat, C. M., & Vandereycken, W. (2011). Non-suicidal self-injury in eating disordered patients: A test of a conceptual model. Psychiatry Research, 188(1), 102-108.
Muehlenkamp, J. J., *Ertelt, T., Claes, L., & Miller, A. L. (2011). Borderline symptoms differentiate non-suicidal and suicidal self-injury in ethnically diverse adolescent outpatients. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 52, 148-155.
Claes, L., Klonsky, D., Muehlenkamp, J. J., Kuppens, P., & Vandereycken, W. (2010). Affect-regulation function of non-suicidal self-injury in eating disordered patients: Which affect-states are regulated? Comprehensive Psychiatry, 51, 386-392.
Muehlenkamp, J. J., Cowles, M. & Gutierrez, P. M. (2010). Validation of the Self-Harm Behavior Questionnaire for use with adolescents of different ethnicities. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 32, 236-245.