print header

Resident Parking Permit Lottery

parking permit signBecause residence hall lots are for long-term "garage parking" these lots are sold at 100 percent, or one permit per one parking space. To ensure fairness, these permits are granted by lottery.

By participating in the parking permit lottery, students are able to obtain a parking permit for the entire academic year without having to document a need to have a vehicle on campus.

Benefits of Obtaining a Lottery Permit

  • Lottery Permit charges are added to student tuition! - This means that you can pick up your permit before you pay for it.
  • Lottery Permits are valid for the entire academic year! - Need based permits are only valid for one semester, so by getting a permit through the lottery you don't need to re-apply for a permit for spring semester.

Returning Students

The lottery for returning students will be held April 13th through April 17th, 2015. You will receive an email from the Parking Office with a link to a qualtrics survey. Fill out the survey to sign up. It's that easy! If you do not receive an email, make sure you are signed up to live on campus next year, and contact the Parking Office at to request one.

Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

The lottery for incoming freshmen and transfer students will be held from June 1st through July 24th. Details regarding the lottery and sign up process will be sent via email from the Parking Office. Please contact the Parking Office at if you are signed up to live in the residence halls and you did not receive an email on June 1, 2015.

What if I Don't Win the Lottery?

Students who do not receive a permit through the lottery may still be eligible for a permit through the Need Based Application (pdf) process.

To qualify for a permit through the need base process, students must submit an application and documentation of off-campus employment, education requirements that require travel to off-campus sites or ongoing medical appointment. All requests will be evaluated and permits will be assigned according to the need and until the supply is exhausted.

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a self-contained unit with classrooms, libraries, recreational areas, food services, etc., all within walking distance. It is an environment where most individuals do not need transportation. Consequently, we recommend that students do not bring vehicles, unless off-campus employment dictates a need.