Thirty Greek system members honored for academic achievementMarch 14, 2014
EAU CLAIRE — Thirty members from the six Greek chapters at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire recently were recognized for their academic achievement.
Fifteen fraternity men and 15 sorority women with the top grade-point averages for the fall 2013 semester were invited to the third Greek Scholarship Dinner held March 5 at The Dulany Inn, Davies Center.
Along with those honored, the chapter presidents and various university administrators were invited to the event. Administrators in attendance included Dean of Students Joseph Abhold, Director of University Centers Charles Farrell and Associate Director of University Centers Candice Wilson.
The six chapter presidents spoke at the event about different aspects of Greek life. Julia Johnson, Jefferson, Sigma Sigma Sigma, spoke on recruitment; Justin McDaniel, Appleton, Delta Sigma Phi, addressed brotherhood and sisterhood; Katherine Brier, Champlin, Minn., Delta Zeta, talked about academics; Brandon Aguirre, Burlington, Delta Tau Delta, spoke about leadership in the community and on campus; Sarah Nigro, Woodruff, Alpha Xi Delta, talked about the commitment to philanthropy and service by the six chapters; and Jordan Lindner, De Pere, Phi Gamma Delta, spoke about expansion and the future.
Abhold expressed his enjoyment in celebrating the accomplishments of UW-Eau Claire students and emphasized the importance of focusing on cooperation instead of competition.
"Individuals with diverse backgrounds unite as one for the betterment of society through brotherhood and sisterhood," Abhold said.
The following students were honored for academic achievement:
- Alpha Xi Delta: Lizzy Harris, Mondovi; Christine Pierce, Cameron; Kayla Sauer, Woodbury, Minn.
- Delta Sigma Phi: Michael DeCleene, Denmark; Mitchell Mathews, De Pere; Kollin Michels, Apple Valley, Minn.; Jacob Olivieri, Hudson.
- Delta Tau Delta: Brandon Aguirre, Burlington; Zachary Ahola, Portage; Luke Anderson, Appleton; Brian Larson, Eden Pairie; Brandon Magliocco, Brookfield; Jefferson Schmidtke, Wausau; Jacob Thalacker, Eau Claire; Zachary Wawrzyniakowski; Burlington, Tyler Will, Green Bay; Brady Wincapaw, Burlington.
- Delta Zeta: Katherine Brier, Champlin, Minn.; Lillian Furr, St. Paul, Minn;, Nicollette Gorski, St. Louis Park, Minn.; Jessica Harris, Cumming, Ga.; Shelby May, Arpin; Katelyn Riese, Madison; Mary-Laura Samples, Prairie du Chien.
- Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI): Jake Wszelaki, Silver Cliff.
- Sigma Sigma Sigma: Cora Fox, Dayton, Minn.; Julia Johnson, Jefferson; Katelyn Noack, Greenleaf; Sara Schnelle, Middleton; Abigail Vidmar, Loretto, Minn.
The Greek Scholarship Dinner was hosted by the academic and scholarship chairs of the Panhellenic Council and Interfraternity Council, Kayla Kallas, Oshkosh, and Andrew Ready, Watertown. Order of Omega, the all-Greek honor society, donated the ice cream social held at the end of the dinner.