Homecoming 2013 activities begin Oct. 6October 3, 2013
EAU CLAIRE — Homecoming week activities at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will be held from Oct. 6-13.
Homecoming buttons, which are required for participation in Homecoming competitions, will be available for $1 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. weekdays through Oct. 11 near the Service Center entrance of Davies Center.
Homecoming week highlights are as follows:
- Window painting of the northeast windows in Davies Center will begin at 8 a.m. Oct. 4. Judging will be held at 3 p.m. Oct. 7.
- The Campus Camp Out Kick-Off Party will be held from 9-11 p.m. Oct. 6 in the Ojibwe Ballroom of Davies Center. Students will participate in activities for the chance to win prime banner placement on the bridge for their representative.
- The newly adopted student mascot, Blu, will be unveiled during Momentum Monday, Oct. 7. From 7:30-10 a.m. Blu and several representatives of the UW-Eau Claire Student Senate will greet students at the bottom of the campus hill with high-fives as they walk to class. Student Senate members also will hand out free coffee donated by Starbucks.
- The sand sculpture competition will be held from 4-5 p.m. Oct. 8 behind Putnam Hall. Students will build sand creations with this year's theme in mind.
- Outdoor campus games will begin at 4 p.m. Oct. 9 and Oct. 10 on Towers Field. Games will include a three-legged race, water balloon toss, human pyramid and tricycle race.
- The "Yell-Like-Hell" competition and pep rally will begin at 7 p.m. Oct. 9 in Zorn Arena. Participating organizations must have an original choreographed yell, cheer or song. The teams will be judged on volume, originality, movement, enthusiasm and general effect. Yell-Like-Hell will immediately follow the Snake Dance, which will begin at 6:45 p.m. at the base of the hill.
- The Can-Struction Competition will be held from 6-11 p.m. Oct. 10 in the Student Organizations Complex in Room 220 of Davies Center. Students will attempt to create unusual structures out of donated canned goods.
- The Friday 5K race will begin at 6 p.m. Oct. 11 at the base of the campus hill, with registration beginning at 5 p.m. in the front yard of Putnam Hall. All proceeds will go to the Wisconsin Youth Success Program.
- The "Varsity Night Live!" student talent show will begin at 7 p.m. Oct. 11 in Zorn Arena. The event will be emceed by comedian Eric O'Shea. Tickets are $7 for the general public, $5 for students and $2.50 with a homecoming button. The coronation of the homecoming king and queen will immediately follow the show.
- The Homecoming parade will begin at 10 a.m. Oct. 12 at Lake Street and Oxford Avenue. The parade will turn on First Avenue where it will proceed south and end on First Avenue and Water Street. The parade will feature the Blugold Marching Band, the Altoona Marching Band, Homecoming royalty and a variety of student organizations. Dr. Karen Mumford, assistant professor in the Watershed Institute for Collaborative Environmental Studies and recipient of the 2013 Excellence in Teaching Award, will be the parade's grand marshal.
- The Blugold football team will play the UW-Stevens Point Pointers at 1 p.m. Oct. 12 in Carson Park. Halftime entertainment will be provided by the Blugold Marching Band. Shuttles to the game will be available beginning at 11 a.m. Shuttles will pick up at Towers Hall, Second Avenue and Water Street bus stops, running continuously until 30 minutes after the game.
- The Fifth Quarter postgame party, featuring the Blugold Marching Band, will be held at 4 p.m. Oct. 12 in Carson Park after the game. Live music will also be provided by Pour Boyz. Snacks and beverages provided by Grizzly's will be available.
- Homecoming activities will end with the annual Adopt-a-Block neighborhood cleanup beginning at 1 p.m. Oct. 13. Student teams will walk through the Historic Randall Park neighborhood to pick up litter left from the weekend's festivities.
A schedule of student events can be found on the University Activities Commission website. For more information about student events, call the UAC at 715-836-2787.
A schedule of reunions and alumni events is available onthe Alumni Association website. For more information about alumni events, call the Alumni Association at 715-836-3266.