Faculty, staff receive Nontraditional Student Services recognitionMay 9, 2013
EAU CLAIRE — University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Nontraditional Student Services recently honored 23 UW-Eau Claire faculty and staff through the Concern for Adults Returning to Education (CARE) recognition program.
The CARE recognition program provides nontraditional students the opportunity to identify an exceptional UW-Eau Claire faculty or staff member who accepts the unique challenges and qualities that adult students bring to campus.
According to Bonnie Isaacson, nontraditional student adviser, nontraditional students generally feel apprehensive, albeit excited, about completing their degree. In addition to their studies, the students must juggle jobs, family and running a household.
"When a faculty or staff member takes the time to help these students feel at ease about their decision to return to education, it helps to alleviate much anxiety and opens the path for success in their educational pursuit," Isaacson said. "We wanted to say thank you to those faculty and staff members who understand this."
Students were asked how their nominee was helpful to them; how the nominee accommodated any unique needs that nontraditional students may have; and how the nominee made them feel appreciated and welcome in the classroom.
"We especially appreciate faculty and staff who take time to go the extra mile with adults returning to school," Isaacson said.
Following are the spring 2013 CARE nominees, each of whom received a letter of thanks and a certificate of appreciation:
- Dr. Melissa Bonstead-Bruns, associate professor and chair of sociology.
- Katie Bowman, associate lecturer of women's studies.
- Shannon Collins, clinical assistant professor of communication sciences and disorders.
- Miranda Cross-Schindler, military education benefits coordinator.
- Dr. Analisa DeGrave, associate professor of Spanish, Latin American studies program director.
- Julie Eklund, senior lecturer of English.
- Dr. Rachael Haupt-Harrington, assistant professor of nursing.
- Bonnie Isaacson, nontraditional student adviser.
- Dr. Tom Kemp, associate professor of economics.
- Dr. Paulis Lazda, professor of history.
- Kelly Murray, senior lecturer of biology.
- Dr. Leah Olson-McBride, assistant professor of social work.
- Dr. Bruce Ouderkirk, director, Student Support Services.
- Dr. Jill Prushiek, interim associate dean, College of Education and Human Sciences.
- Lisa Quinn-Lee, assistant professor of social work.
- Judy Ramsey, academic department associate, foreign languages.
- Katie Ritland-Clouse, academic adviser.
- Laura Rubenzer, career development coordinator, Student Support Services.
- Dr. Eva Santos-Phillips, professor of Spanish.
- Lorraine Smith, assistant to the dean, College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- Dr. Andy Strowig, career development coordinator, Student Support Services.
- Ingrid Ulstad, senior lecturer of accounting.
- Dr. Ezra Zeitler, assistant professor of geography and anthropology.
For more information about the CARE recognition program, contact Bonnie Isaacson at 715-836-3259 or email@example.com.