Tip Sheet for week of Dec. 17December 17, 2012
Commencement ceremonies will begin at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 22, in Zorn Arena. Graduates in the College of Business and College of Education and Human Sciences will participate in the morning ceremony. Graduates in the College of Arts and Sciences and College of Nursing and Health Sciences will join the afternoon ceremony.
UW-Eau Claire alumnus Mark Green, a former U.S. Ambassador to Tanzania and former U.S. Congressman, will give the commencement address during both the morning and afternoon ceremonies. Ambassador Green's daughter, Rachel, will be among the students graduating from UW-Eau Claire this weekend. Rachel, who will earn a degree in special education, will participate in the morning ceremony.
Several UW-Eau Claire alumni will be honored Saturday during the commencement ceremonies and at a luncheon in Davies Center. Among the alumni award recipients are:
- Rick Frenette, executive director of the Wisconsin State Fair in West Allis, will receive the President's Award. A native of Chippewa Falls, Frenette began his "fair" career as a boy selling Pronto Pups from a wagon at the Northern Wisconsin State Fair.
- Carson Kipfer, co-founder of Team Sport Technologies Media, will receive the Outstanding Recent Alumnus Award. As a freshman at UW-Eau Claire, Kipfer and a fellow student began a Web development company that developed a website tool for hockey associations. They eventually rewrote the program to accommodate all sports, which resulted in a Sport Ngin platform that is used by more than 2,500 sports organizations across the country. The business now has 90 employees, many of whom are UW-Eau Claire graduates.
- Dan and Debbie Market will receive the Honorary Alumnus Award, which is presented to non-alumni who have demonstrated great love and service to UW-Eau Claire. Dan Market is CEO of Market & Johnson. Dan and his wife, Debbie, have played an integral role in the success of the Blugold women's basketball program. Dan has served on the Blugold Women's Basketball Advisory Board and is a founding member of the Fast Break Club, a booster club. The Markets have traveled to many away basketball games to show the team their support, and they've hosted alumni gatherings for the team in Florida.
For more information about the alumni award winners, contact John Bachmeier, director of Alumni Relations, at 715-836-5189 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students will take final exams this week, Dec. 17-21.
- Offices will be closed Dec. 24-25 for the Christmas holiday, and again Dec. 31-Jan. 1 for the New Year holiday. Winterim classes will begin Jan. 2, 2013.