UW-Eau Claire events planned in appreciation of veteransOctober 29, 2012
AU CLAIRE — The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire has planned a number of activities in appreciation and support of veterans.
- Oct. 28-Nov. 2 — A "Remember Our Fallen" exhibit will be displayed in the Blugold Living Room of Davies Center. It was created in honor of those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The display is sponsored by UW-Eau Claire Student Affairs, Veterans Club and Foundation, and American Legion Post 53.
- Nov. 8 — "Freedom Honor Flight" will be presented from noon-1 p.m. in the Ho-Chunk Room (320E) of Davies Center. Presenters will be Sgt. Nick Bures, a UW-Eau Claire junior political science major from Deerbrook who served in Afghanistan from 2008-09 with the Army National Guard, and World War II veteran Dr. Milo Pritchett, a longtime Eau Claire resident and UW-Eau Claire professor emeritus of special education who served during World War II as an infantry scout with the U.S. Army 91st Infantry Division. They will discuss their experience with the Freedom Honor Flight, which allows veterans to visit memorials in Washington, D.C., that stand in their honor.
- Nov. 10 — Currently serving military members, veterans and their families will receive free admission to the UW-Eau Claire Blugolds vs. UW-River Falls Falcons football game starting at 1 p.m. in Carson Park. Other activities include a 50/50 raffle and a caramel apple/bake sale benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project and the UW-Eau Claire Veterans Club; a color guard by the UW-Eau Claire ROTC program; and a coin toss by Wounded Warrior UW-Eau Claire veteran students. Sponsors for the event include the UW-Eau Claire athletics department, Veterans Club and ROTC.
- Nov. 11 — Veterans Day: Day of Remembrance.
- Nov. 12 — Eat at Eau Claire's Buffalo Wild Wings from 11 a.m.-midnight and 10 percent of non-alcoholic sales will benefit the UW-Eau Claire Veterans Club. Fliers with coupons for the event will be distributed on campus, and individuals must have the coupon to participate in the fundraiser.
For more information, contact Miranda Cross-Schindler, military education benefits coordinator, at email@example.com or 715-836-5212.