Tip Sheet for Homecoming 2012September 27, 2012
UW-Eau Claire's 2012 Homecoming weekend will offer a number of story and photo opportunities. Below are a few of the many activities that may interest you:
Friday, Sept. 28
- The Golden Blugolds — alumni who graduated 50 years ago or more — will gather Friday to begin their Homecoming celebration. They will attend the "Big Band Extravaganza" concert at noon in Gantner Concert Hall of the Haas Fine Arts Center. At 2 p.m. they will meet in the Alumni Room of Davies for a ceremony during which the newest members will be "pinned" and welcomed into the Golden Blugold group. The Golden Blugolds will gather in the Haas Fine Arts Center before Saturday's Homecoming parade and also participate in the parade. These alumni were students here when W.R. Davies was the president, making this weekend's grand opening of the new Davies Center that much more meaningful. The Golden Blugolds tend to be a lively group of alumni with many stories to share. For details, contact John Bachmeier, director of Alumni Relations, at 7150-836-5189 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The campus community, alumni, local leaders, legislators, UW System staff and others will gather at 4 p.m. Friday for the grand opening of the new Davies Center on lower campus. The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be at the front entrance of Davies Center. Among those attending will be past and current student body presidents and student leaders who helped take the idea of a new student center and transform it into the stunning new student center that now sits in the heart of campus. The Blugold Marching Band and other talented students also will be part of the grand opening event. An open house reception will run from 4:30-6 p.m. inside Davies Center. Students helped transform the student center into a unique, vibrant and special place. Their vision and creativity led to features such as a fish tank featuring native species, the use of local rock and other local materials, buying as much local produce as possible to use in food areas, a green roof that reduces storm water runoff and lowers heating and cooling costs, and a system to monitor energy. For details about the building or the event, contact Dr. Beth Hellwig at 715-836-5992 or email@example.com.
Saturday, Sept. 29
- Nursing alumni and faculty will gather at 8 a.m. for the annual Nursing Walk through Putnam Park. Interim Chancellor Gilles Bousquet and his wife, Debbie, will join the walk.
- The Homecoming parade will begin at 10 a.m. at Lake Street and Oxford Avenue. The parade will turn on First Avenue and end on First Avenue and Water Street.
- Blugold Softball Alumnae game will begin at 10 a.m. at Gelein Field in Carson Park.
- The Blugold Fever Fest Pre-game Tailgate will begin at 11 a.m. in Carson Park, followed by the Homecoming football game at 1 p.m., and the Fifth Quarter event immediately following the game. The Blugold Marching Band will be part of all of these activities.
Sunday, Sept. 30
- Homecoming activities will end with the annual Adopt-a-Block neighborhood cleanup beginning at 1 p.m. Sunday. Student teams will walk through the Historic Randall Park neighborhood to pick up litter left from the weekend's festivities.