Homecoming 2012 activities begin Sept. 23
Released: Sept. 20, 2012
|Blugold Marching Band member at Homecoming 2011. (UW-Eau Claire photo by Bill Hoepner)|
EAU CLAIRE — Homecoming week activities at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will be held from Sept. 23-30.
Homecoming buttons, which are required for participation in Homecoming competitions, will be available for $1 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. weekdays through Sept. 27 in the east lobby of Davies Center.
Homecoming week highlights are as follows:
- Outdoor games will be held at 4 p.m. Sept. 26 and Sept. 27 on Towers Field.
- The "Yell-Like-Hell" competition and pep rally will begin at 7 p.m. Sept. 26 in Zorn Arena. Participating organizations must have an original choreographed yell, cheer or song. The teams will be judged on volume, originality, movement, enthusiasm and general effect.
- The Priory rededication ceremony and Children's Nature Academy open house will begin at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 27 at The Priory.
- The "Big Band Extravaganza" will begin at noon Sept. 28 and 7:30 p.m. Sept. 29 in Gantner Concert Hall of the Haas Fine Arts Center. The event celebrates the songs, events and people of the Big Band Era. UW-Eau Claire's Jazz Ensembles I and II will perform. Tickets, which are $12 for the general public or $10 for students, are available online or at the door.
- The W.R. Davies Student Center grand opening will begin at 4 p.m. Sept. 28. The opening will include a ribbon-cutting ceremony, a drum corps from the Blugold Marching Band, a performance by the Singing Statesmen and building tours. Beverages and hors d'oeuvres will be served in several rooms throughout the building.
- The Friday 5K will begin at 6 p.m. Sept. 28 on Putnam Trail, with registration beginning at 5 p.m. in the Putnam Hall front yard. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Wisconsin Youth Success Program.
- The "Varsity Night Live!" student talent show will begin at 7 p.m. Sept. 28 in Zorn Arena. The event will be emceed by comedian Samuel Comroe.
- Higherground, located in Crest Wellness Center, will host a Homecoming Dance Party beginning at 10 p.m. Sept. 28 and Sept. 29. Sept. 28 admission is $1 or free for those wearing a 2012 Homecoming button. Sept. 29 admission is free.
- The Homecoming parade will begin at 10 a.m. Sept. 29 at Lake Street and Oxford Avenue. The parade will turn on First Avenue where it will proceed south and end on First Avenue and Water Street. The Blugold Marching Band, the Altoona Marching Band, Homecoming royalty and a variety of student organizations will participate in the parade. Dr. Kent Syverson, professor of geology and winner of the 2012 Excellence in Teaching Award, will serve as grand marshal.
- The Blugold football team will play the UW-Stout Blue Devils at 1 p.m. Sept. 29 in Carson Park. Shuttles to the game will be available beginning at 11 a.m. Shuttles will pick up at Towers Hall, Second Avenue and Water Street bus stops, running continuously until 30 minutes after the game.
- The Fifth Quarter postgame party, featuring the Blugold Marching Band, will be held Sept. 29 in Carson Park after the game. Snacks and beverages will be available.
- Homecoming activities will end with the annual Adopt-a-Block neighborhood cleanup beginning at 1 p.m. Sept. 30. Student teams will walk through the Historic Randall Park neighborhood to pick up litter left from the weekend's festivities.
A schedule of student events can be found on the University Activities Commission website. For more information about student events, call the UAC at 715-836-2787.
A schedule of reunions and alumni events is available on the Alumni Association website. For more information about alumni events, call the Alumni Association at 715-836-3266.