UW-Eau Claire to host Earth Week activities April 16-20April 13, 2012
EAU CLAIRE — Several University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire student organizations will host a series of events the week of April 16 to celebrate Earth Week. The events are:
- $CORE Audits and CFL Swap: People can swap old light bulbs for efficient CFL blubs and learn efficiency tips, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Green Bike Revolution by Environmental Action Center: People can generate bike powered energy, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Carbon Footprint Survey: People can see what they consume, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Dr. Eric Jamelske presentation, "Global Warming Perceptions in the U.S. and China," 5:30-6:30 p.m., Room 102, Hibbard Humanities Hall.
- Prizes for people who bike to campus,10 a.m.-2 p.m.,Campus Mall.
- Dr. Bob Eierman presentation on alternative transportation, 4-5 p.m., Room 203, Hibbard Humanities Hall.
- Swap 'til You Drop Clothing Exchange: People can exchange clothing with others, 2-7 p.m., Towers Commons.
- Presentation by Danielle Bronshteyn and Dr. Karen Mumford, "Commuting by Car: A Survey of UW-Eau Claire Campus Drivers," 5 p.m., Room 103, Hibbard Humanities Hall.
- Human Trafficking Clothing Drop: Give unused clothing to a good cause, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Recycling Raffle: Recycle an item with your name on it to win prizes, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Campus Sustainable Business Day: Hang out on the Campus Mall with environmental groups and local businesses, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Music featuring local band Irie Sol, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Talk by Glen Fisher of the Community Gardens, "Compost Basics: Home Composting Made Easy," 7-8 p.m., Presidents Room, Davies Center.
- Recyclable Fashion Show with $CORE CFL Swap and Plastic Bag Drive, Swap old light bulbs for efficient CFL blubs, 8-10 p.m., Towers Commons.
- "Lights Off, Ovens Off Day in Cafeterias": The Terrace will consume less energy on this day by using dim lighting and not serving hot food.
- Free tomato and herb plants: People can take home a plant; 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Mall.
- Outdoor honey bee workshop by Ellen Sorenson and Dr. Joseph Hupy, 11:30 a.m., meet at Campus Mall.
- Buckthorn invasive species removal: Volunteers will help remove invasive species from Putnam Park, 11 a.m., Putnam Park entrance. Contact Casie Giroux at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Event sponsors include the UW-Eau Claire Student Senate, Student Office of Sustainability, Housing and Residence Life and RHA.
For information, contact Brittany Whited, Student Office of Sustainability director, at email@example.com.