Hmong Heritage Month to feature variety of eventsMarch 30, 2012
EAU CLAIRE — The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will host a series of events during April in honor of Hmong Heritage Month.
Hmong Heritage Month was established to promote an appreciation for and education of Hmong culture and history among members of the university and greater Eau Claire communities, according to event organizers.
"It is the hope of the planning committee that Hmong Heritage Month will foster a renewed sense of identity for Hmong individuals and help non-Hmong allies see the value of cultural, social and academic diversity," said Mai Neng Vang, a psychology major from Eau Claire who is helping plan the monthlong celebration.
Hmong Heritage Month activities include the following:
- Exhibits relating to Hmong culture and history will be displayed throughout April in McIntyre Library and on the first and second floors of Hibbard Hall.
- A Hmong hut and exhibit will be displayed April 2-6 in the Skylight Lounge of Davies Center.
- UW-Eau Claire will share a Proclamation of Hmong Heritage Month during an event from 2-3 p.m. April 2 in the Skylight Lounge of Davies Center. Hmong community members will speak during the event.
- People are invited to wear traditional Hmong clothing during Hmong Outfit Day April 4.
- Dr. Paul Hillmer, associate professor of history at Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn., will give a presentation from 7-9 p.m. April 5 in Davies Theatre. During his presentation, titled "A People's History of the Hmong," Hillmer will discuss the history of the Hmong, Hmong Diaspora and the Hmong's role in the Vietnam War. Hillmer has created documentaries and written books about the Hmong history.
- Storytelling Night will run from 7-10 p.m. April 9 in The Cabin of Davies Center.
- The city of Eau Claire will officially proclaim April as Hmong Heritage Month during a proclamation event at 4 p.m. April 10 in the City Council Chambers in City Hall in downtown Eau Claire. Kerry Kincaid, president of the City Council, will make the proclamation.
- The "Student Fishbowl Panel" will run from 2-3 p.m. April 11 in the Presidents Room of Davies Center.
- Hmong Language Table: "Acculturation and the Generational Gap" will be held from 6-8 p.m. April 12 in Room 202 of Hibbard Hall.
- A session on Hmong cooking will be offered from 5-7 p.m. April 17 in the social lounge in Towers Hall on upper campus. People must sign up in advance to participate.
- A Hmong luncheon is slated for 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. April 18 in The Dulany of Davies Center.
- The Chippewa Valley Museum's Hmong exhibit will be on display April 23-27 in the Skylight Lounge of Davies Center.
- A UW-Eau Claire alumni panel discussion is slated for 11 a.m.-noon April 24 in the Presidents Room of Davies Center.
- Hmong Language Table: "Hmong Myths and Dream Interpretations" will run from 6-8 p.m. April 26 in Room 202 of Hibbard Hall.
- An event titled "Hmong's Got Talent" will run from 6-9 p.m. April 29 in Schofield Auditorium. The event is open to all ages and ethnicities. Advance registration is required.
For more information about Hmong Heritage Month events or to register for an event, contact Mai Neng Vang at firstname.lastname@example.org. Events also can be found online.
People can add the group on Facebook at Hmoob Heritage Month UW-Eau Claire.