Our emphasis on a prospective McNair scholar's potential to enter and successfully finish graduate school, especially doctoral degree is based on the very objective of the McNair program at the Federal level to "…provide disadvantaged college students with effective preparation for doctoral study".
The fact is that the very success of the McNair program depends on the number of program participants served by the program in an academic year, the delivery of mandatory and optional services to each program participant, the rate at which program participants enter graduate school, and the rate at which program participants continue in graduate school and finish doctoral studies.
As per McNair regulation, the extent to which the McNair program at UW-Eau Claire meets or exceeds its program objectives is measured by:
- The delivery of service to a minimum of 27 students served by the McNair program
- The provision of appropriate scholarly and research activities for the students served by the program
- The acceptance and enrollment of such students in graduate programs
- The continued enrollment of such students in graduate study and the attainment of doctoral degrees by former program participants.
Specific Measurables (Prior Experience Points):
The McNair program is "graded" on an annual basis by the Department of Education out of 15 points, as follows:
- Number of participants- Whether the applicant provided services to no less than the approved number of participants. (3 pts.)
- Research or scholarly activities- Whether the applicant met or exceeded its objective for providing participants served during the project year with appropriate research and scholarly activities each academic year. (3 pts.)
- Graduate school enrollment- Whether the applicant met or exceeded its objective with regard to the acceptance and enrollment in graduate programs of participants served during the project year who complete the baccalaureate program during the academic year. (3pts.)
- Continued enrollment in graduate school- Whether the applicant met or exceeded its objective with regard to the continued enrollment in graduate school or prior participants. (4 pts.)
- Doctoral degree attainment- Whether the applicant met or exceeded its objective with regard to the attainment of doctoral level degrees of prior participants in the specified number of years. (2 pts.)