Exceptional Achievement in Mathematics by a Juniors
Awarded to a student of junior standing who has exhibited outstanding academic achievement as measured by his/her overall grade point average, mathematics grade point average, and number of math courses taken above the 300 level. The selection is by vote of the Mathematics faculty.
- be a Mathematics major or Physics-Mathematics Comprehensive Major who has completed at least 75 credits,
- have not ever been eligible for the Junior award
- intend to graduate in more than two but fewer than four more semesters
- have completed at least one 300 level math course at UWEC and
- not have received the award previously.
When C is in question, the awards committee will consult with the student's advisor. Further, the student must satisfy either of the following:
- The student has a total cumulative GPA (resident and transfer) as reported by the registrar of 3.50 or greater; and have a resident mathematics GPA of 3.50 or greater.
- The student is nominated by a faculty member.
The Awards Committee will provide a list of names of all students who meet the eligibility criteria listed above at least one week before the Awards Committee plans to begin considering nominees. During this week members of the Department may nominate any additional students that they believe should be considered for the award (as indicated above), assuming that these nominees also satisfy the other eligibility criteria.
The Awards Committee will determine the nominees (typically three) to be presented to the Mathematics Department by considering the following information.
- Math GPA at UWEC.
- Total cumulative (resident and transfer) GPA.
- Number of resident mathematics credits at or above the 300 level, with a maximum of 30.
The Committee will rank the nominees according to the Total found by
Total= 200 × MGPA + 60 × GPA + 20 ×Math Credits at or above 300.
The Awards Committee will then make available as an attachment to a Department meeting agenda, a table which presents the MGPA, GPA and Math Credits at or above 300 and Total for each of the nominated candidates.