Print Header


When Did Our Professors Become Buildings?

W.R. Davies Center, 1959, 1964, 1976

W.R. Davies
W.R. Davies

William R. Davies was named the second President of Eau Claire State Teachers College in 1940. Major accomplishments during his tenure include the first additions of academic buildings and dorms, establishment of the Chippewa Valley Forum in 1942, faculty and student governments, and the first bachelor and liberal arts degrees. Mr. Davies died on December 10, 1959 about three weeks before his official retirement date.

Davies Center

The $750,000 Student Center opened in 1959 and in 1960 was dedicated as the William R. Davies College Center. A 1964 addition doubled the size of the Center, followed by an expansion to the east in 1976 with updates in 1982 and 1991.