Online rooms allow you to collaborate with your class in an online environment.
This page has information on how to:
- Online Rooms System Check
- Join an Online Room
- Establish Audio and Video Settings
If your instructor has made you a moderator of the Online Room, view the D2L Faculty: Online Room documentation for more information on what you can do as a moderator, such as add content.
- Go to the D2L homepage at www.uwec.edu/d2l.
- In approximately the middle of the page, you will see a section that states: To ensure that successfully access Online Rooms software, do an Online Rooms System Check. Click the words Online Rooms System Check to run this check.
- You will see a list of the checks run on your computer system, along with the results.
- To join your online room, click Online Room in the navbar.
- If a room is active, you will see Join to the right of the room name. Click Join to enter the room.
- Blackboard Collaborate will then begin launching.
Instructors may use Collaborate for class participation and to share information and documents in an online session.
- After you click on the link, a yellow and white banner will appear at the bottom of the page. Click Allow Once.
- A pop-up window may appear, asking you if you would like to try again. Click Retry.
- Click on the Join button again.
- A new window will open to launch Blackboard Collaborate. Another yellow and white bar will appear at the bottom of the page. Click Open. Java will begin launching Collaborate.
- The application will download and another security warning will appear. Check the box next to Always trust content from this publisher.
- Click Run.
- A Collaborate dialog box will appear. Click Accept for the Session Participant Agreement.
- From the Select connection speed pull-down menu, select your connection. If you are not sure what your connection type is, choose a low-speed connection (users accessing this tool from on campus should select Cable/D2L or LAN).
- Click OK. You are now a participant in the online room, and will see a window resembling the one below:
You are now a participant in the online room, and should now determine your audio and video settings.
- Click the Audio Setup Wizard icon , found in the upper left of the screen, to change your audio and microphone settings.
- You will see a list of the audio devices you have available. Choose the desired device and click OK. It is recommended that you use headphones with a mic rather than speakers.
- The Speaker Setup screen appears. Follow the directions on the screen to adjust the volume to a comfortable listening level. Click Stop once it is set to an acceptable volume level.
- The Speaker Setup Confirmation screen will appear. Click Yes to continue.
- The Audio Setup Wizard will then bring up the Select Audio Input Device screen. Choose the desired microphone device from the list and click OK.
- The Microphone Setup screen is displayed. Follow the directions to adjust the microphone volume. Click Stop when you are done. You will then be able to play what you recorded to see if the volume level is acceptable. The Microphone Setup Confirmation screen appears. Follow the directions and click Yes or No as applicable.
- The Setup Complete screen appears. Read what is stated on the screen, then click OK.
If you have a different video source you wish to use, or if your computer doesn't have a webcam, you should have this source connected to the computer before entering the online room.
- When in the Online Room, Video found in the sidebar on the left. Video will start transmitting, as you can see in the preview window.
- If you wish to change the video settings, click the dropdown menu found in the top right corner of the sidebar and choose Camera Settings from the list.
- In the window that appears, you will see a variety of options. If you have another video source available you wish to use instead of the default webcam of the computer, you can select it from the dropdown menu.
Record and Archive a Session
- In the upper right-hand corner of the screen, you will see a Record button. Click this to begin recording your session.
- A window will appear, asking for confirmation. Click OK to continue. You will also receive voice confirmation that the session is indeed being recorded, and the button will change to indicate that the session is being recorded:
- To stop recording at any time, simply click the Recording button again. A window will appear, asking for confirmation. Click OK to stop recording. You will also receive voice confirmation that the session is no longer being recorded.
To upload files to your online room, you will want to use the File Transfer Library.
- Select Window at the top of the screen and choose Show File Transfer Library.
- From the window that appears, you can upload documents to the library. Click the select a file icon in the upper left of the window:
- Browse to the desired file and click Open.
- Depending on the size of the file, it will take a minute or two to upload to the transfer library. You can watch the progress of the files uploading. When they are finished, the file will say Complete.
- Once you have uploaded the file, you can prompt the attendees of the room to alert them that the documents are available. To do this, select the document from the list and click the prompt recipients icon at the top of the window:
- If you wish to delete content from the File Transfer Library, simply select the document from the list and click the trash icon at the top of the window:
- Click the Load Content button at the top right of the screen. Note that only moderators will be able to use this function.
- Browse to the desired PowerPoint presentation and click Open.
Note: The PowerPoint will take some time to load (the amount of time depends on the size of the file).
- Once the PowerPoint has loaded, it will appear in the Collaborate screen. The Page Explorer automatically opens. This allows you to navigate by double-clicking on the desired slide. You may keep this open if you wish, or close it.
- You can also navigate through your PowerPoint using the arrows near the top right of the screen. Jump several slides at once using the dropdown menu to the right of the arrows.
Note: It is important to know that when you bring a PowerPoint presentation into an Online Room, the slides are inserted as images. Therefore, any active hyperlinks or animation you had included in the PowerPoint will not work. If you wish to link to a website, it is easiest click the Web Tour icon near the top of the screen and follow the directions provided on that screen (note the Follow Me checkbox option, which forces students to view the desired website).
- Optional: If the Follow checkbox is selected, it requires the students to follow along with the PowerPoint as you view it.
- Optional: Click the Explore More icon at the top right of the screen to explore other pages while leaving others on the current page. When this is selected the arrows will turn red and you will see a red outline around the slide you are viewing.
- Optional: You can add or delete a page of your PowerPoint directly in Collaborate using the New Page and Delete Page buttons near the top left of the screen.