The documentation on this page includes the following topics:
When you log in to Desire2Learn, you are automatically taken to My Home, which looks something like this:
From this page, you can access the courses you are enrolled in, change your settings, view your calendar, and so on. The items within separate panes are referred to as widgets, and the Global Tools are located in the navigation bar. Descriptions of these different areas are discussed below.
- News items that must reach all UW-Eau Claire D2L users will be displayed either in the top widget or the widgets on the side.
- Note the Maintenance Schedule widget, found on the right-hand side, alerting you to the days and times when maintenance will be taking place. During these periods, D2L may run very slowly or not be available at all.
- All your classes are displayed in the My Courses widget, which takes up most of the center portion of the screen. You will be able to access all your courses from this listing.
NOTE: If you are unable to find all your courses, check to make sure you have each section expanded by clicking the arrow on the right. The arrow of an expanded section looks like this: , while the arrow of a collapsed section looks like this:
One newer feature in D2L is the minibar located at the top of the page. You have access to this minibar no matter where you go in D2L.
There are a number of convenient features located on this minibar.
- The My Home button on the far left of the minibar will return you to your homepage no matter where you are in D2L.
- Directly to the right of the My Home button is the Select a Course search box. If you have selected a course from My Courses, that course will be displayed as the current course.
To view a different course, simply select the black dropdown arrow next to the current course title. There you will see a list of the courses you have access to, and you can quickly access another course without returning to the My Home page:
- You may "pin" courses you access frequently. Doing this will ensure that whenever you click the dropdown arrow to make a course selection, the pinned course(s) will automatically be at the top of the list. This is very convenient if you have a large list of courses.
- Click the course search dropdown arrow and find the course you wish to pin.
- To the right of the course you will see the outline of a pin:
- Click the pushpin icon to the right of the course name. When you do this, the pin will turn orange:
Your class is now pinned to the top of your list for easy access.
- To unpin a course at any time, simply click the pin again. The pin image will return to its original color and the course will return to its original position in the search list.
- Note the three tools found on the far right of the screen, to the left of your name:
Of special importance is the center Update Alerts icon. When there is a red circle on this icon, as shown in the image, it means you have new updates to your courses. This could include a grade posting, the posting of a news item, the imminent closing of a quiz or dropbox, etc. Click on the icon to view the details of the alert.
Another feature of the minibar can be found on the far right side. There you will see your profile image and your name. If you click the dropdown arrow to the right of your name, a list of options will appear.
- Click Profile to create/edit your personal profile. This includes uploading or changing your profile picture as well as any personal information you would like to display. Your photo and your profile information is available to others in the Classlist tool in courses in which you are enrolled.
- Click Account Settings to change different options for your D2L account. Here you can change font settings, time preferences, and discussion settings. For more information, visit the Setting Preferences page.
Global Tools can be found at the top left of the page in the upper and lower navigation bars.
The calendar provides a central location for course and personal events, such as add/drop periods, exams, and personal appointments. For more information, see Using the Calendar.
This tool provides an additional storage area for files. Files in this area can be made public or kept private. This is especially useful when working at multiple workstations.
Contains links relevant to teaching and learning topics.
- System Check
This tool runs a number of system checks to ensure that your browser is properly configured to use the system.
Gain access to your ePortfolio, which is a personal portfolio tool that allows you to store, organize, view, and share items that represent your learning. For more information, see D2L ePortfolio.
- Faculty D2L Help
Link to the LTS Online Help documentation on D2L for faculty.
- Student D2L Help
Link to the LTS Online Help documentation on D2L for students.
Located on the far right of the screen, in the lower navigation bar, this button logs you out of Desire2Learn.