D2L's Binder is a free tablet app that allows students to "fetch" documents from their D2L courses and view them later on an iPad or other mobile device. This documentation contains information on the following:
With Binder, students can:
- Access content online and offline with an iPad (no offline access with web or Android versions at this time).
- Organize, flag and tag items, annotate (including notes, underline, highlight, etc.) certain types of content items.
- Search text, bookmarks, or annotations.
- Archive documents that are no longer needed.
Follow these three basic steps to begin using the Binder app:
- Download the app.
- Create an EduDentity account.
- Open the app and login to UWEC's D2L site.
D2L "Send to Binder".
Log in to D2L and create an EduDentity account by selecting the action "Send to Binder" from a course document .
"Send to Binder" is available in three locations within D2L Content:
The Context menu of supported document types in Content outline:
The Context menu beside the topic name when the document is visible in the Document Viewer:
A button at the bottom of the document viewer:
NOTE: Users cannot create EduDentity accounts directly from the Binder for tablet login screen.
2. D2L EduDentity site
- Your email address is part of your EduDentity account information.
- Binder passwords must contain at least 8 characters.
When launching the D2L Binder app the first time, enter your EduDentity credentials:
- Select Fetch to link the UWEC D2L environment to the Binder app.
- Press the plus sign in the Connections sidebar, then press Learning Environment in the Connections dialog box to create a new connection to UWEC D2L courses.
- Enter the URL (uwec.courses.wisconsin.edu) for UWEC's D2L instance into the connection dialog box.
- Press Connect.
- Once connected to UWEC's D2L Learning Environment, enter your UWEC credentials to retrieve course documents.
- A list of course documents from each of your current, active courses will display onscreen.
- Send to Binder: Allows students to push course content from the D2L learning environment directly to the Binder app.
- Binder Fetch: Allows learners to pull posted learning resources and notes from the D2L learning environment directly into the Binder app.
- Binder's Annotation Wheel allows learners to take notes on course content, eTextbooks and other digital content directly in the Binder app.
- MS Office (doc/docx, xls/xlsx, ppt/pptx)
- Adobe (pdf)
- Web (htm/html)
- Text files (txt, rtl)
- Image files (bmp, gif, jpg/jpeg, png)
NOTE: Once D2L courses close after the term ends, students can no longer fetch items from those closed courses.
For additional help, consult Desire2Learn's Binder Push-Start Guide.