If you teach the same class every year or want to use some of the same materials in multiple classes, copying components saves you time when setting up your D2L courses. You can watch the Copying Course Components video, or follow the steps below. Then, use the checklist to make sure all of your components are up to date.
- Enter your new course, or the course to which you want to add materials.
- Press Edit Course in the upper right.
- In the Site Resources section of the list, choose Import/Export/Copy Components.
- Select the radio button next to Copy Components from Another Org Unit.
- Click the Search for offering button. The Select Course Offering window appears.
- To locate the course to copy from more easily, enter the semester code of the course to be copied from in the Search field, then press the magnifier icon to the right of the Search field:
- Recent Semester Codes for UWEC:
- Fall 2014 - 2151
- Summer 2014 - 2147
- Spring 2014 - 2145
- Winterim 2014 - 2143
- Fall 2013 - 2141
- From the window that appears, select the radio button next to the course that contains the components you want to copy. Click Add Selected.
- To copy all components, press Copy All Components at the bottom of the page.
NOTE: You will see other options of the page, including the Parent Template of Current Offering option. You may disregard this option.
- To copy only selected components,
- Click Select Components.
- Select the checkbox(es) next to the component(s) you wish to copy.
- To copy all items in that component, choose the radio button next to Copy all items.
EXAMPLE: For the glossary, this means importing all terms in the glossary.
- To import only specific items for a component, select Select individual items to copy.
EXAMPLE: For the glossary, this means choosing specific terms to import.
NOTE: If you are copying Content, it is necessary to copy Course Files as well so Content pages will still link to files.
- Click Select Components.
- Press Continue.
- If you are selecting some items for a component, select those items, and click Continue.
- Confirm the components, and press Finish.
- You will be presented with a summary of the copied components. Click Done.
- After copying components, check that links work and copied information appears correctly.
After you have copied your components . . .
- Double-check that all desired components copied over from the previous course correctly. For example, click on your topic names in Content to verify they open properly and are linked to the proper document or tool.
- Change all of the dates in your course calendar.
- Adjust the course start and/or end dates, if necessary.
- Change any release dates/times to the current semester's schedule (e.g., Quizzes, Content, Dropbox, and Discussions).
- Change any release conditions (e.g., restricting discussions by group membership).
- Repopulate small groups using the enrollment tool in the Manage Groups area of the Groups tool.
NOTE: Due to add/drops, wait until the second week of the course to avoid making too many changes to small group memberships.
- Update documents, such as your syllabus, that change each semester. Be sure to change the term, any specific course information, and office hours that might have changed.
- Check all of the Internet links that you provide for your students. Make sure that the websites you are linking to still exist and that the URL's have not changed.
- Check your Quicklinks. Make sure any course documents that are linked to were copied to the new course.
- Make sure eReserve articles are still available and that the links are the same.
- Although gradebook items copy over from previous courses, you will still need to complete the Grades Setup process.