The Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser for use with proctored quizzes and exams delivered through D2L. When the LockDown Browser is set as required, students must use the LockDown Browser to access the quiz and will, as a result, be unable to copy, screen capture, print, or open other programs or browser windows until the quiz is submitted. The full list of features is available on the Respondus website.
NOTE: A pilot for the LockDown Browser will take place during the Fall 2014 semester. If you are interested in more information or participating in the pilot, please contact Laura Middlesworth (firstname.lastname@example.org; 836-2151) or CETL (email@example.com; 836-2385).
This page contains the following information for faculty participating in the Fall 2014 pilot:
Tips and Considerations for use of the LockDown Browser
The LockDown Browser is best suited for testing in a face-to-face setting or in an ITV environment in which the quiz or exam is being proctored.While the LockDown Browser can be enabled for any D2L Quiz, it is unable to prevent students from using other devices (e.g., cell phone, digital camera, laptop) when completing a quiz in an unproctored environment.
Make sure that students know well in advance that they must use LockDown Browser to complete a D2L Quiz and/or view a submitted D2L Quiz. One way to accomplish this is to create a practice quiz that requires the LockDown Browser prior to a quiz or exam that will be graded. This will provide students with the opportunity to install LockDown Browser and verify that it is working properly.
It is good practice for instructors to verify LockDown Browser settings before students attempt the quiz or exam. To confirm that a D2L Quiz requiring LockDown Browser has been set up correctly:
- Open a standard web browser and log in to D2L.
- Select “Preview” from the drop-down menu associated with the quiz.
- Uncheck the box next to Bypass Restrictions.
- You should be unable to start the quiz within the standard web browser if everything is set correctly.
- Next, open LockDown Browser, log in to D2L, and repeat steps 2 & 3. If everything is set correctly, you should be able to start the quiz with the LockDown Browser.
Note: If you access a quiz with LockDown Browser, you must submit the quiz before the browser will let you exit.
It is possible to include access to a calculator, spreadsheet viewer, and printing capabilities within LockDown Browser (Windows only); please contact Laura Middlesworth (firstname.lastname@example.org; 836-2151) for more information.
The LockDown Browser can be set as required for students to access a quiz and/or view quiz submissions.
- On the navigation bar, click Quizzes.
- Select the Restrictions tab while creating a New Quiz (or in Edit Quiz for an existing quiz).
- Scroll down to the Security Options section.
- To require students to use Respondus LockDown Browser to access the quiz, select the box next to “Required to take this quiz.”
- Selecting the box next to the second option, “Required to view submissions,” will require students to use the LockDown Browser to view quiz feedback and results.
If students attempt to access a quiz (or a quiz submission view) that requires the LockDown Browser, they will receive a message stating that the LockDown Browser must be used and are provided with a link to download and install the LockDown Browser.
Students will not have the ability to begin the quiz if attempting to access the quiz with a different browser when the LockDown Browser is required.
The LockDown Browser Dashboard has three advanced settings available to the instructor. To access the dashboard and the advanced settings:
- Navigate to Course Home.
- Locate the Respondus LockDown Browser box (widget) in the lower right-hand side and click on LockDown Browser Dashboard link.
NOTE: The LockDown Broswer Dashboard described here is only available on select versions of the Course Homepage. If you are interested in more information, please contact Laura Middlesworth (email@example.com; 836-2151) or CETL (firstname.lastname@example.org; 836-2385).
- In the window that opens, select the drop down arrow next to the quiz.
- Select Modify Settings.
- Click the radio button next to “Require LockDown Browser for this exam.”
- Click the [ + ] next to Advanced Settings.
The first option can be selected to prevent students from exiting the LockDown Browser before a quiz or exam is submitted for grading. Optionally, a password can be entered to enable a proctor to close the browser during an exam. Respondus does not recommend selecting this setting outside of a proctored environment. If selected, a student will be unable to exit the browser if their Internet connection fails or there is an emergency. A student will be warned twice before being able to close the browser. The student will also be prompted to enter their reason for exiting the exam early. The student’s response will be available to the instructor from the LockDown Browser Dashboard.
See this Respondus Knowledgebase article for information about the iPad Edition of the LockDown Browser.
See this Respondus Knowledgebase article for information on how the LockDown Browser can be used in accessibility mode for those with disabilities.