This documentation includes information on installation processes in the following operating systems:
Applications that are managed by LTS have been packaged into simple installers for Faculty and Staff utilizing Microsoft's Configuration Manager 2012. By default, all applications that can be freely distributed to all University computers will be pre-advertised to faculty and staff through the UWEC Application Catalog. All other applications can be deployed to users and computers based on licensing restrictions.
- Open Internet Explorer and type in http://appstore.uwec.edu, or click UWEC Application Catalog at the root of the Start Menu.
- The UWEC Application Catalog should display similar to the following image. In the left pane you will see a logical grouping by type of application, including departments. In the upper right corner, you can search for an application by keywords, name, publisher, version, or category.
- To install an application, search for an application, click on it, and then click Install in the bottom right corner of the window.
- Click Yes to begin the installation.
- Installation will begin after the requirements have been checked. Once an application is finished installing, you will see the following message:
- You can confirm that the software was installed properly by opening the Software Center and verifying that the status is Installed.
Software that is licensed per computer cannot found in the UWEC Application Catalog. Instead, complete the following steps:
1. Contact the LTS Help Desk at 715-836-5711 or firstname.lastname@example.org and request a license.
2. After the license has been verified, LTS will deploy the software to the computer. Open the Software Center by navigating to Start Menu » All Programs » Microsoft System Center 2012 » Software Center.
3. Find the software title, click on it, and then click Install in the bottom right corner.
Below are some of the common issues that can arise when installing software. Before escalating the issue, please try running the installation again for any piece of software that fails on the first try.
The message "Cannot install or request software" can occur in two situations:
- Problem: The user is using a browser other than Internet Explorer to access the UWEC Application Catalog.
Solution: Open Internet Explorer and go to http://appstore.uwec.edu/. Try installing the software again.
- Problem: The Configuration Manager client is not installed. Navigate to the Start Menu » Control Panel » System and Security, and start the Configuration Manager client. If it is not there or does not say version 2012, then the new client is not installed.
Solution: Contact the LTS Help Desk to get the new Configuration Manager client installed.
Software can be installed onto office Mac computers from the Self Service application. In addition, the Self Service catalog is also home to miscellaneous items such as the Fix My Keychain application, and where Network Printers can be installed from.
- In the Finder menu at the top of the screen, click Go.
- Select Applications.
- In the window that appears, select Self Service.
- Log in with you UW-Eau Claire username and password or by clicking Log in anonymously.
NOTE: Some features, such as Fix My Keychain, will not work if you log in anonymously.
- Click the icon of the program you wish to install. A pane appears with important information about the program and its installation, such as whether or not it may lock up your screen during the installation.
- Click Install. A frame at the top of the window will show the progress.
NOTE: If the software you are looking for is not listed, please contact the LTS Help Desk at 715-836-5711 and Helpdesk@uwec.edu.