D2L Version 10 Upgrade
Desire2Learn will be upgraded to version 10 this summer. This upgrade is scheduled for 10:00 pm on Thursday, June 28, through 10:00 am Friday, June 29, 2012. An outage is required for this upgrade.
Version 10 will bring us many new features, including:
- A redesigned layout within a centered 960 pixel area
- Redesigned home pages and course navigation bars
- A new navigation minibar on all pages allowing users to move between courses without returning to the My Home page
- Grouping of navigation items in dropdown menus at the top of tool pages (including Content, Discussions, Dropbox, Quizzes, and Grades), formerly in the left sidebar
- Option for instructors to bulk release dropbox feedback to students simultaneously once all submissions are graded, rather than releasing feedback on a student-by-student basis
- "Must post first" option in Discussions to require students to post a message before being able to view classmates' posts
- Ability for instructors to copy attendance registers and attendance schemes from one D2L course to another in the Copy Components procedure
In addition, we will enable the Notifications feature on UWEC's D2L site. Instructors and students will be able to subscribe to daily and/or instant email notifications regarding course activity. For students, this feature will include notifications of new discussion messages, news updates, and approaching dropbox and quiz end dates. For instructors, notifications will include announcements of new ungraded quiz attempts, new dropbox submissions, new discussion messages, and news updates.
Language packs – including French (Canada), Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Spanish (Latin America), Portuguese (Brazil), Korean, Japanese, and Turkish – will be available to UWEC faculty for use in their D2L courses beginning July 15, 2012.
Several existing D2L tools, including User Homepages, Articles, and Journal tools, will no longer be available in version 10.
Sessions to familiarize faculty to the new version will be offered and announced during the coming summer.