The UW-Eau Claire community will soon see the benefits from an LTS Blugold Commitment grant dedicated to the purchase of a full featured video content management system (VCMS) to replace our homegrown streaming media services. A video content management system allows for recorded audio and video content to become available for on-demand playback over the network anytime, anywhere. The new infrastructure is searchable, generates usage reports, allows for increased control over access to assets, and improves playback reliability on all platforms.
Some of the key features of the new system will be:
- An easy to use web interface to manage assets, view all on-demand (archived) assets, and any live streamed events.
- Playback with DVD like controls on many modern computing devices, including many mobile computing devices.
- You can easily browse and search all assets available to the logged in user.
- Usage statistics will be available to the system administrator.
- You can easily limit access to specific UWEC users and groups.
- Asset owners can create a set of favorites.
- You will have the ability to attach other referential information such as documents and web addresses to an asset.
The new equipment and software is installed. Craig Ernst (SMC) is overseeing the phased implementation for the VCMS. Currently the project is in the Test/Training phase. The Pilot phase, where four of our key streaming media clients will be put onto the new system, will start soon. By mid-Spring Semester, the entire campus will be able to take advantage of the benefits of this significant infrastructure update.