Physical activity and Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities in the Eau Claire area (P.R.I.D.E.) PROGRAM
The intention of the P.R.I.D.E. program is to serve children with cognitive, sensory, and physical disabilities ages 5-16 years by providing them with individualized and/or group instruction in the areas of skill development, fitness, and sport/recreational activities.
Individualized programming for each child will be based on initial screening, ongoing assessments, and consultation with parents, teachers, and related service personnel. Each child will receive individual instruction, attention, support, and encouragement from UWEC undergraduate students.
The program will be suited for children with a wide variety of ability levels. The children participating in this program will be recruited and/or referred from Physical Education/Adapted Physical Education teachers, physicians, therapists, and families.
1. Provide children with disabilities individualized instruction that will assist in the development of specific movement skills.
2. Provide children with disabilities an opportunity to continue working on skills that are being addressed in their Physical Education or Therapeutic settings.
3. Provide children with disabilities an opportunity to learn that their disability does not have to limit them from participating in physical activity.
4. Provide UWEC students the opportunity to work with children with a wide spectrum of movement abilities.
5. Provide UWEC students the opportunity to develop understanding of the meaning of community service and an appreciation for serving others.
6. Provide UWEC and the surrounding community with an opportunity to enhance, strengthen, and highlight the importance of physical activity for children with disabilities.
Download Registration Form (PDF)