Home School Physical Education
Since 2003, UW-Eau Claire has involved hundreds of boys and girls in fun and educational activities through the Home school Physical Education Program. Due to the increasing number of home schooled children in Northwest Wisconsin, the Department of Kinesiology has expanded children’s physical education programming. The purpose of the UW-Eau Claire Home School Physical Education program is to provide developmentally appropriate learning experiences to enhance children’s knowledge, skills, and attitudes in physical, game, and sport activities. Activities are structured to provide children with many repetitions and opportunities for cooperation and competition. UW-Eau Claire Physical Education majors plan and instruct children under the direction of Dr. Jamie O'Connor.
Dates and Time (SPRING SEMESTERS ONLY)
Spring Semester: 12 Physical Education & Swimming Classes, Tuesdays from 9:45-10:30
***Notification of specific dates will occur upon registration
***Dates and times are subject to change
***Spring registration begins prior to winter break
***Contact director if you would like your email address added to the master contact list.
The home school physical education program is held in the McPhee Physical Education Center on the upper campus of UW-Eau Claire. Limited parking is available on UW-Eau Claire’s upper campus (parking passes required—will be distributed upon registration) or in the Chippewa Valley Technical College lot for $.75/hour.
All children entering grades K-12 (5-17 years old) educated at home are welcome to attend. Due to space and equipment limitations, enrollment for each session will be limited to the first 100 registrants. Participants will be grouped according to age and/or developmental level.
A structured, sequential physical education curriculum is provided for lower elementary students (K-2), upper elementary students (3-5), middle school students (6-8), and high school students (9-12).
Focus for each level includes:
- K-2: Movement concepts (spatial awareness, etc), movement skills (galloping, skipping, running, etc.), physical skills (balancing, throwing, catching, etc.), and fitness (aerobic endurance, flexibility, etc.).
- 3-5: Movement skills (Chasing, etc), physical skills (gymnastics skills, etc.), fitness (aerobic endurance, etc), and modified game play in various sports.
- 6-8: Physical skills (striking with equipment, kicking, etc.), fitness (endurance, strength, etc.), and game play in various sports.
- 9-12: Development of personal fitness plans (emphasis on muscle strengthening activities and aerobic endurance), physical skills, and game play in various sports.
What to Bring
Children should arrive with appropriate physical education and swimming clothing. Attire should allow the child to actively participate safely. Please refrain from any oversized clothing, shirts showing the midriff, or slip-on shoes. We recommend that the children bring a water bottle with their name on it.
Home School Program Special Features
- Participant to instructor ratio approximately 5:1
- Enthusiastic instructors who enjoy working with children
- Opportunity to participate in large group activities
- Developmentally appropriate physical education curriculum
- Fun and interesting activities
- Exposure to new activities and equipment
- Learn ideas to supplement activities at home
Registration and Cost
$25/participant/semester ($50 maximum/family)
***Up to half the tuition may be waived for families in financial need
Each participant must return tuition, completed registration form, and completed medical form before participation.
Dr. Jamie O'Connor
Fax: (715) 836-4074
UW-Eau Claire students who are enrolled in Physical Education Teaching courses and preparing to be educators provide instruction. Dr. O'Connor actively supervises the instructors lessons.