You too can live green
It is easier than you think
- Let the sun shine in - open your curtains instead of turning on the light.
- Use compact florescent light bulbs. They use 66% less energy and last 10X longer!
- Turn off that screen saver! Because of new technology, screen savers do not actually save energy unless they turn off your screen or back light of your laptop. Instead, turn your monitor off when your computer will not be in use.
- Unplug the electronics in your room when they are not in use. Or use a "smart" strip which turns off the power once things are charged.
- Purchasing energy star electronics such as mini refrigerators or televisions for your room helps save energy by up to 30-50%.
Reduce energy consumption by using cold water to wash your clothes. When you use hot water, it accounts for up to 90% of the washing machines power usage to do so.
Don't Go Alone
Going downtown? The bus provides free public transportation
Use Zimride, a computer ride share program, to find a ride home. www.zimride.uwec.edu
To reduce junk mail:
Try not to buy individual plastic water bottles. Instead purchase a reusable water bottle and use the refillable stations or the retrofit stations to keep hydrated.
Repurpose clothes by buying used. It saves money and the planet!
Salvation Army: www.usc.salvationarmy.org/eauclaire
Play It Again Sports: www.playitagainsportseauclaire.com
Plato's Closet: www.platoscloseteauclaire.com